True Tank Volume

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought an XS Scuba HP Steel 119 tank. I've looked in a few places and have found the true capacity at 3442 PSI to be either 119 cu ft or 123 cu ft, depending on whose chart you use. Which of these is correct?

Also, is tank pressure PSIA or PSIG?

Thanks,

Ron

Tank pressure is PSIG. When your tank is empty, at the surface, your gauge reads 0 but there is still air in the tank at 14.7 PSIA. Of course, the difference between 3442 PSIG and 3456.7 PSIA is not significant.

I don't know what the actual volume of the X8-119 is, or why there is a discrepancy in the numbers, but here is a guess. If you measure the volume of the unpressurized (empty) tank and multiply by the rated pressure in bar, you get the theoretical capacity of the tank. However, when you actually pressurize the tank, the walls of the tank will stretch slightly, so that the internal volume increases, and the actual capacity will be greater than the theoretically calculated value.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom