Question True requirements to deserve the title of Master Diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I’ve got about 300 logged dives and eligible for “getting” a Master Diver card, which we all know is a meaningless.

Let’s hypothetically change that, tell me what requirements, training, and/or proof of skills would you propose would be required to EARN the deserved recognition of being a true Master Diver. For the sake of our discussion let’s say there are two levels of Master Diver, (1) Recreational and (2) Technical and let’s focus on Recreational for this discussion.

I Propose:

1- Complete the navigational part of Advanced open water, while back kicking, compass as the only reference.
2- Successfully deploy a DSMB from depth and ascend the line at a safe rate, completing all stops, with no mask on. (tech will do this blindfolded)
3- Calculate your SAC rate and plan a No deco dive, no tables, just memorized. No computer either, those are for "amateur"
4- Place in an international underwater photography competition, Honorable mentions DONT count.
5- Convert an entire room in your home to coral restoration tanks
6- Get a Sea Slug named after you or your dog.
7- Magically produce a 6 pack of deco beers for the ride to the dock without anyone noticing you brought them on
8- Drop a $20/tank tip (just once though)
9- Walk a transect through Dema and get no less than 5 "Hey man!"s, technical requires 10 "Hey man!"s

After the completion of those 9, There will be a ceremony and the winner shall be crowned the Master Diver (Recreational) by Mr. Padi himself.

I Propose:

1- Complete the navigational part of Advanced open water, while back kicking, compass as the only reference.
2- Successfully deploy a DSMB from depth and ascend the line at a safe rate, completing all stops, with no mask on. (tech will do this blindfolded)
3- Calculate your SAC rate and plan a No deco dive, no tables, just memorized. No computer either, those are for "amateur"
4- Place in an international underwater photography competition, Honorable mentions DONT count.
7- Magically produce a 6 pack of deco beers for the ride to the dock without anyone noticing you brought them on
9- Walk a transect through Dema and get no less than 5 "Hey man!"s, technical requires 10 "Hey man!"s

After the completion of those 9, There will be a ceremony and the winner shall be crowned the Master Diver (Recreational) by Mr. Padi himself.
This is about as serious an answer as the question deserves.
If you don't like the title of some certification, then don't get it.
which we all know is a meaningless.
We don't all know that. It is a personal recognition certification, and involves far more training than most divers ever get, so it is indeed meaningful for the majority of the diving population.

Hard to say. For me personally it's not something i'd rank in numbers. The PADI and SSI "Master Diver" plastic card is utter ******** obviously.

I've seen people with a hundred dives and OW that were very good, and i've seen instructors with thousands of dives that were absolutely horrible in every way.

It's just multiple things about their gear, attitude, calmness, behaviour and so on when diving with someone that would make me think "Yeah, that guy has mastered diving."
I'm excluding myself from that status btw. :)

I Propose:

10-At least one logged Warhammer (countersigned by dive buddy, instructor, DM, or boat operator)

It is a personal recognition certification, and involves far more training than most divers ever get, so it is indeed meaningful for the majority of the diving population.
Good point! Completing the training required to the obtain the Master Diver certification IS a significant accomplishment as “tursiops” implies. On the other hand, a Master Diver certification does not automatically qualify a diver as one who has “mastered diving” as “iDuglum” points out.

In this thread, I was hoping to hear what requirements, training, and/or proof of skills would be appropriate for one to be considered as mastering diving (minimum threshold requirements). IMHO, this information could prove to be valuable for divers, like myself, who qualify for a Master Diver certification but still thrive to be a significantly better diver.

what requirements, training, and/or proof of skills would be appropriate for one to be considered as mastering diving (minimum threshold requirements). IMHO, this information could prove to be valuable for divers, like myself, who qualify for a Master Diver certification but still thrive to be a significantly better diver.
Suggestions: First and foremost, what do YOU mean by "significantly better diver?" Lower SAC rate? Greater depth? Faser cruising speed? Knowing how to ID more fish? It is NOT the same for everyone, hence no game plan will suit everyone.

The more dives in the more different situations, the better. Technical training is good. Don't look for some magic list of boxes to check (there is none), but rather seek the training and experience that you are now lacking, and practice buoyancy, trim, propulsion, and situational awareness on every dive. Develop the skill of managing task-loading. Find out what kind of diving you enjoy (could be currents, low viz, Fish ID, photography, whatever) and do lots of it. Find buddies with the same mind-set and goals.

While I have the PADI Master Dive card, I think my military training, coupled with taking open water/advanced open water/rescue from PADI instruction who is also an Army trainer. Couple that with over 1200 dives and multiple saves including a snorkeler that drowned. I think that speaks more about my ability then a card.

One of the great discoveries I made as I progressed through certifications and experience was that I was always finding new levels of skill that blew away what I had previously thought was diving excellence. I am now privileged to have met and dived with people whose skills are such that I will never meet them. I would be embarrassed to call myself a master diver in their presence.

So it's all relative. The fact is that well over 90% of certified divers to not become certified beyond AOW. Relatively few divers get to 100 dives. They cannot even guess what it means to do truly advanced dives.

So forget the term. Get the certifications you need to do the dives you want to do. If you can do the dives you want to do with ease and have no interest in going beyond them, then think of yourself as a master diver. Just don't make the claim in public.

tell me what requirements, training, and/or proof of skills would you propose would be required to EARN the deserved recognition of being a true Master Diver.
Meh.

I love skills. I developed skills because they made my diving fun. I'm a huge proponent of training to learn and improve skills. I'm even a bigger proponent of getting lots of experience at your skill level. Adding more skills before you've perfected the last ones just confuses the issue. I'm not such a big fan of plastic. I don't need a piece of plastic to have fun. I don't feel a need to identify as a "master diver" either. I know my limits, and I honor them. My skills, conditions, my wellness, my training, and more all allow me to decide if a particular dive is suitable for me to attempt. I've been diving for over a half century, and while I've been injured topside, I've never had DCS nor any serious injury in the water. That's no accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom