Troubleshoot new strobe and sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rafaelaustin

Registered
Reaction score
I recently purchased an Ikelite DS-50 strobe and #4100.5 TTL slave sensor package for my Canon G3 and Ikelite housing that I've been using for a couple of years. But when I tried to test it, the DS-50 wouldn't fire when my G3 flash went off. I've tried reconnecting the cable and different batteries (but they do need to be recharged now) and holding the sensor right against the G3 flash, but nothing seems to trigger it. When I set the DS-50 to TTL or Manual, it charges and the red indicator light comes on. If I set it to off, the flash dishcharges, clearing the capacitor.

What reccomendations are there for troubleshooting this problem? I bought it from B&H Photo online. Do I just put it in a box and send it back? Should I take it to my LDS and ask them to look at it? Maybe get them to swap cables or try a different sensor? Should I take it to my camera shop (a very good one that I trust) and see if they can fix it? The Ikelite FAQ on repairs seems to be pretty consumer friendly, does anyone else have an opinion on that?

Thanks for any suggestions! I'd really just like to get it working as soon as possible.

I have DS-125 strobes but I'm not sure how to remedy your problem. Call Ike tomorrow morning and they can walk you through it. They are very helpful.

Diver Dennis:
I have DS-125 strobes but I'm not sure how to remedy your problem. Call Ike tomorrow morning and they can walk you through it. They are very helpful.

Assuming your dip switches on the sensor are set properly for the G3 and the DS50 and it still isn't working, I would follow Dennis' advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom