trouble recovering bc from pool bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a great story! Kudos to your instructor for having you do this, and kudos to you for seeing as a challenge and not an abuse.

I think her question is fair. Many agencies discontinued the exercise because in their opinion it does not reflect real world situations. What is the likelyhood that a diver is going to leave all their equipment on the bottom somewhere? It is a good exercise in that it will teach you that if you have gas you can then begin to work through any problem.

Thank you for the explanation Warmwaterturner. Sometimes threads are not directly relevant to my case, but I find that I learn a great deal from the discussions and the explanations and the diverse opinions. So I appreciate all the patience and the guidance from you guys. Cheers! :)

A followup. Last night was the "Last night" in the pool. I can now go to the bottom, take my gear off put it back on totally by feel and its easy. We ran through the check out dive, which seemed easy now. I think we had my weight perfect last night as well. Everything fell into place and made sense. I have a good level of confidence in the coming check out dives. The Scuba board has been very helpful. I am looking forward to diving in the quarry and then on to other dives and learning more. I am really glad I did this.

A followup. Last night was the "Last night" in the pool. I can now go to the bottom, take my gear off put it back on totally by feel and its easy. We ran through the check out dive, which seemed easy now. I think we had my weight perfect last night as well. Everything fell into place and made sense. I have a good level of confidence in the coming check out dives. The Scuba board has been very helpful. I am looking forward to diving in the quarry and then on to other dives and learning more. I am really glad I did this.

Congratulations Ladyfish...:yeahbaby:

No amount of accolades I throw on you can compare to the good feeling that you must be feeling now that you have tackled a skill that at one time you were so uncomfortable with. :cool3:

Thanks. I do feel good. I have a great teacher. This was far more challenging for me than I thought it would be which made it a huge accomplishment.

It's funny how that works, isn't it? :wink:

After challenging training, things seem easier.
Congratulations! Good for you!

Good on your Instructor as well.

Cheers,
Mitch

Can't wait to read about your checkout dives!

Post # 58, March 15, 2013,

I had many students with the same fears and apprehensions so took the time to post this bit of history and encouragement ;

" ladyfishfelt,Ditch and Recovery (D&R) (aka Doff and Donn in Eastern US) has been around almost since the beginning of civilian dive training

Diving to the bottom, removing the SCUBA unit, weight belt and the mask, returning to the surface for a breathe of air, diving down to the Scuba unit clearing the mouth piece, replacing the weight belt, replacing and clearing the mask and returning to the surface was introduced to the civilian diving world on page 58 of the 1955 edition of "Underwater Recreation," . Underwater Recreation, replaced the 1954 dive manual "Underwater safety" which first civilian manual published in July 1954 by the LA County program.

It was created as a training exercise to insure the basic diving student was comfortable in the water and was well prepared for any and all emergencies they may encounter in the harsh California diving environment. Often the LA Co UW Instructor would require the D&R to be repeated in the ocean prior to diver certification.

There are only three classifications of divers in the LA Co Program, Basic, which is probably equal to a supper duper popper diver in other programs, the three months long Advanced Divers program (ADP -the worlds first in 1966) which would equate to probably a Dive master and the famous or infamous four months long Underwater Instructors Certification course aka UICC. Each program required (requires?) D&R as a component of the training with increasingly greater depths.

In the instructors program a D@R is required in 33+ feet of open ocean, as well as free assents from 66 & 100 feet (Oh My! Oh My!)

There are two schools on instruction, one is train for nominal conditions and hope for the best out come, the other and to which I prescribe is train and retain for worst case conditions and be well prepared to handle worst case conditions.

I commend the NAUI instructor who is teaching this young lady..She will be well prepared and trained competent diver.

SDM "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post #60, March 16 2013

The next day another post of encouragement

ladyfishfelt,

Don't worry...You will do just fine! There are many many others who have faced the apprehension you are experiencing.

You have a great instructor who is teaching you diving the way it should be taught. When you finish the course you will be a diver rather than one who dives.

Do to timing, education and geographical location I have been a consultant to four diving companies. I recall a meeting many years ago with the late Harry Rescigno, the founder of Sea tec/Inflatable systems about a new inflation unit. I had proposed a number of changes to a product. Harry responded "I am making this inflation unit for the masses of people who dive, not for divers-- and there is a difference"

I suspect with your training you will be come a diver rather than one who dives..

SDM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will now finalize with the following statement:

ladyfishfelt,
I am delighted that you successfully performed your D&R ( D&D) with out difficulty. .

You certainly had ample encouragement/discouragement from this tribe of well meaning posters, many I suspect have never performed a D&R. I also suspect if they were required to perform a D&R would probably encounter the same apprehensions that you faced only a short tine ago.

The fact remains you performed the D&R exercise and did it well.

I commend you for your perseverance and performance and I also commend your unnamed NAUI instructor who is interested in certifying only well trained divers

SDM
LA Co Underwater Instructor. #11
NAUI instructor #27
PADI Instructor # 241

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had two checkout dives at Dutch Springs and they went fairly well. The 7 mil wetsuit and jacket required more weight, but it was not as cold as I expected, low 50's. I did have a bit of trouble equalizing but went slow and it was ok. I kept remembering control my breathing and did pretty good on air. Some very big fish in that quarry. We dove to 40 feet, with 50 foot visibility. I did stir up the bottom a little by accident, but all in all it was a good day of diving. Two more dives tomorrow and I will be an official diver. I am exhausted. It was fun to finally get out of the pool and into the open. Thanks for all of the support. It has been a challenge but a good one. I have a lot more work to do on my diving skills but I think I am off to a good solid start.

We all have work to do on our diving skills . . . as long as you feel that way, you will continually improve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom