Trouble getting BC replaced..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishdelasol

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I recently bought two sets of gear for our new hobby at one of our local shops. It is a larger shop, not something I would necessarily call an LDS.

I was fitted improperly for my BC. Was told it would fit better after I had my wetsuit and tank on in the water. It didn't. Was told it was no problem to exchange it. We have spoken with three different managers to try and resolve our issue. Instead of taking on the problem, they usually deflect the issue to a different manager saying they should have handled it. I am quite frustrated and we have so far been very understanding, but I have run out of patience. My husband has been kind enough to help me out by calling to check up on the situation because I am too annoyed and I realize that it will not help resolve the situation.

I know they have a similar version of my Zeagle BC and I am willing to compromise and take it instead...if they will even let me do this. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I don't know how else to handle it since we are dealing with the managers each time we call. I also called Zeagle to make sure that the order had even been placed...it had, but I'm wondering if it got put on the floor and sold or something.

Am I expecting too much too fast? I am not sure if I should name them because I feel bad....but, maybe one of their reps could point me in the right direction.

11/17--went to shop to exchange BC, did not have correct new size, checked inventory--being sent from another store, pickup on Tuesday
11/21--BC did not arrive, the inventory was wrong and had to order from Zeagle, pickup on Friday
11/23--BC did not arrive, try Sat after 12
11/24--BC did not arrive, it will definitely be in Monday
11/26--BC did not arrive, should be in on Wednesday
11/28--BC did not arrive, the manager on duty told employee to take our # to have a different manager call us back tomorrow...

How did you pay for it?

If paid by credit card, you might contact them regarding their protection policy.

Explain to the managers that if they can't resolve what they already promised to, then you will dispute the charges and buy elsewhere and they will lose the sale entirely.

Clealy but firmly state your case with the management/owners. Tell them that you're frustrated and need their help resolving the issue. Try not to lose your temper or raise your voice. Find out who the manager is, not just a manager. Someone has to be in charge. Direct your comments to them.

As someone that works in retail/customer service, I'm much more willing to go out of my way to help someone who approaches in a calm, reasonable manner and has a solution in mind.

If they can't meet your demands, ask them what alternatives they can offer.

FishSole, if I understand correctly, they agreed to change it for you, but the problem is it isn't getting in on time as promissed?

My 0.02$ on this is that 10 days wait definetly isn't fast (or good) service. But they are trying to make it right! The main frustration factor here is promised delivery times and no BC showing up!

What I would do in your place is definetly contact THE manager in charge, and ask him to clearly explain why the BC hasn't arrived yet. Lost in transit? The transfer order was misplaced? An inventory mistake and there was no stock, requiring a new order (which can take time). It is possible that there is a good reason they haven't got you your BC yet, and they might be trying their darndest. But there isn't any reason for giving you the run around (maybe tomorrow...after tomorrow..., etc...)!!!:shakehead: Ask him what is the REAL reason it isn't here yet, and what is the REAL delivery time estimate. If it's reasonable, I'd give thme the chance to get it and settle this once and for all. If the delay isn't reasonable to you, or the BC isn't in by the new estimated delivery, I'd then demand a refund and take my business elsewhere.

This is just my 0.02$!

Good luck!:coffee:

My husband and I recently bought two sets of gear for our new hobby at one of our local shops. It is a larger shop, not something I would necessarily call an LDS.

I was fitted improperly for my BC. Was told it would fit better after I had my wetsuit and tank on in the water. It didn't. Was told it was no problem to exchange it. We have spoken with three different managers to try and resolve our issue. Instead of taking on the problem, they usually deflect the issue to a different manager saying they should have handled it. I am quite frustrated and we have so far been very understanding, but I have run out of patience. My husband has been kind enough to help me out by calling to check up on the situation because I am too annoyed and I realize that it will not help resolve the situation.

I know they have a similar version of my Zeagle BC and I am willing to compromise and take it instead...if they will even let me do this. Anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? I don't know how else to handle it since we are dealing with the managers each time we call. I also called Zeagle to make sure that the order had even been placed...it had, but I'm wondering if it got put on the floor and sold or something.

Am I expecting too much too fast? I am not sure if I should name them because I feel bad....but, maybe one of their reps could point me in the right direction.

11/17--went to shop to exchange BC, did not have correct new size, checked inventory--being sent from another store, pickup on Tuesday
11/21--BC did not arrive, the inventory was wrong and had to order from Zeagle, pickup on Friday
11/23--BC did not arrive, try Sat after 12
11/24--BC did not arrive, it will definitely be in Monday
11/26--BC did not arrive, should be in on Wednesday
11/28--BC did not arrive, the manager on duty told employee to take our # to have a different manager call us back tomorrow...

I hate to say this but you picked a bad time of year for good service - Thanksgiving holidays! Lots of companies close or have limited staff and though the order may have been received by the LDS, it may not have gotten ordered for a few days and then the Zeagle place may have had limited hours or closed during holidays. So it goes with all retail businesses.
I can tell you, from working at a dive shop for over a year that sometimes distributors suck, never return your calls, lie on the phone and tell you they sent something out when they didn't, make special orders are a total nightmare at times, send you the wrong thing or send it in a box that gets torn open in shipping and product is damaged and has to be returned....and I always had to be the one facing the unhappy customer explaining that we really tried to get it for them on time. :shakehead: I hated getting stuck in the middle and I think you should give them a chance to get the BC for you. It may not be their fault.

robint:D

We used the store's financing option...

I agree with all of you and we have been very understanding and have never gotten "mad" towards anyone we have spoken with. I just want the run-around to end. When I call today I am going to just ask what the REAL deal is. I hope I get a straight answer, but so far the main manager of the store has always been in a hurry to get off the phone with me/hubby when we speak with him. I just don't know where to go with it if he can't/won't help.

Zeagle did confirm that they had sent it out. I am figuring that it was placed on the floor and sold, so they have no clue where it actually is and will probably either re-order it or just let me exchange it for the similar version.

I just hate either canceling our dive plans or renting equipment when I have my own.

UPDATE: HOORAY! I got a PM from my shop saying that my BC is in. :D They just said that Zeagle was unusually slow, plus the holiday, etc. They apologized for all the hassle.

I am so very happy. Now, I can go diving this weekend!!!!!

Way to go Sol! Great news!

Cheers!:coffee:

I have found the BBB very handy in some cases.

Glad to hear things worked out for you, finally. I am in sales and was trained by my father 20 years ago. He told me right from the beginning that the most important thing I could learn was to never make promises about things which you don't have 100% control over and there aren't very many of those. Dad said customers want to know the truth and can deal with the truth even if the truth isn't really the answer they were hoping for. Tell them what they want to hear and then watch the fur fly when things don't happen as planned. This advice has been invaluable over time since I have many customers who have been doing business with me for many, many years. I have referrals call and say they heard that I can be trusted to do what I say I will do. Sounds like these managers/salespeople haven't learned that lesson yet.

I always start by saying, IF THINGS GO AS PLANNED...., and then follow with, HOWEVER.....

Trav, it's something seldom found in todays business world. It's called honnesty...:shakehead: Exactly as you said, I'll appreciate a shop telling me they can't get the part, or they cannot guarantee they will get it on time. That's straightforeward info which permits me to make the best decision in my best interest. I appreciate stores like that and they become my regular stores... Unfortunately, they are far too scarce these days...

Hats off to you for your business philosophy!:coffee:

Glad to hear things worked out for you, finally. I am in sales and was trained by my father 20 years ago. He told me right from the beginning that the most important thing I could learn was to never make promises about things which you don't have 100% control over and there aren't very many of those. Dad said customers want to know the truth and can deal with the truth even if the truth isn't really the answer they were hoping for. Tell them what they want to hear and then watch the fur fly when things don't happen as planned. This advice has been invaluable over time since I have many customers who have been doing business with me for many, many years. I have referrals call and say they heard that I can be trusted to do what I say I will do. Sounds like these managers/salespeople haven't learned that lesson yet.

I always start by saying, IF THINGS GO AS PLANNED...., and then follow with, HOWEVER.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom