trouble booking dives in Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drglnc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey all, Im going to be in guam with three weekdays open to dive. I am hopeing to do atleast 1 day on some wrecks but cant seem to find anyone willing to schedule these. @mda they dont normally dive wrecks during the week so the only option they offer is a private charter and as a single diver that would be cost prohibative. Any suggestions?

I'm afraid you're correct in that. The dive shops are mostly geared for the tourist/ie Asian market, and they prefer to dive the nice coral reefs for the most part. You might check the websites for MDA & GTDS, and see if they have anything scheduled...actually, I now see that you can only dive weekdays, and the schedule, which might include wrecks, will be just for the weekends. Sometimes GTDS has a Wednesday night dive, and they often go to the Tokai Maru/Cormoran OR American Tanker. (The staff like these because they get done faster, ha ha). If you're really desperate, it IS possible to do the Tokai combo from the beach....I've done it twice....but it's about a 20~23 minute surface swim with gear (and you'll need to have a dive sausage/float to keep the jetskiers & boats from hitting you) AND you might have trouble getting past the security checkpoint (down by the Cabras power plant at Apra Harbor.) Depending on who's manning it, sometimes only recognized dive shop personnel, with liability insurance, etc. are allowed to go to that beach. I once had 4 military guys, students of mine who wanted to do it, and another time a Danish woman.
Another site I recently marked by myself....I had a charter group which REALLY wanted to dive this WW2 Amtrak....so I went to its general vicinity & spent 35 minutes looking for it (from the beach), and then marked it with a spray painted milk jug (down by the Agat Cemetary.) (Just to be clear, I went & marked this site a few days before my charter arrived...don't think THEY'D be interested in spending 35 minutes looking for the stupid thing, ha ha) But this one is also quite a ways off the beach. Anyhow, sorry I can't be of much more help....the "big" dive boats take up to 40 people, and when 39 of them want to do Blue Hole, and 1 of them wants to do a shipwreck.............
Good luck, you can send me an email through my website if you have any other questions.

thanks for the reply, it sucks going to guam and might nt see a single wreck. im happy to dive at all but was really looking forward to atleast 1 wreck. Ohwell.

Back
Top Bottom