Tropical wetsuit recommendations for skinny guy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SangP

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm tired of trying out suits and finding that those which fit don't have the features I want or that it fits really badly.

Anyway, I really need some advice on these suits and the comparison if possible.

1. Scubapro Oneflex 3mm
2. Scubapro Thermal Tec 3mm
3. Pinnacle Breaker 3mm (a few have said the neoprene is that good and after a 100 dives, it compresses to 2mm or so)
3. Akona 3mm
4. Bare velocity 3/2

Any comparisons would be most appreciated.

What features are you seeking?

Welcome to my world, buying wetsuits is a nightmare, the last one I bought I got custom made. It seems if you're small/medium to large you are usually ok but be skinny and it seems to be a different story.

Just bought a scubapro everflex 3/2mm for cozumel. Tried it out last night in the pool. Fits great. Can put on by myself with no issues.

Call casey at beaver divers if u decide on a scuba pro or subgear suit.
Has great prices.

e5yry5u7.jpg

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Bare has an unusually broad range of sizes. They have a medium, medium large, large, and extra large all available in "tall", so I would guess one of those would have a good chance of fitting you. I have a Velocity 3/2 in ML (regular cut) that I really like a lot. Very comfortable and has ankle zippers for easier entry.

I also have a Pinnacle cruiser 5mm and my experience with that suit is that it's cut on the small side, so that could be another viable option. Seems well made, but I haven't taken it out yet, so can't comment on durability.

James

I can never find a wetsuit that fits so go custom. Although they don’t list 3mm tropical suits on their site, they do make them and are great to work with. Oceanos Wetsuits has made 7mm freediving suits for me and I am getting ready to order a 3mm Scuba suit from them. Their quotes including delivery from Greece are very competitive with name-brand off the rack suits and quality is excellent.

Sent an E-mail and be sure to indicate that you want a suit for Scuba rather than freediving (different material), custom made, if you want nylon (inside, outside, or both), special colors or cuts, if and where you want zippers. You can send links to suits you have seen and like but don’t fit if that helps explain what you want.

Welcome to my world, buying wetsuits is a nightmare, the last one I bought I got custom made. It seems if you're small/medium to large you are usually ok but be skinny and it seems to be a different story.

Yeah I know, an Oompa Loompa will have a better chance of getting a off the shelf suit then I.

RJP, other then fit I'm looking for these features.
1. Tough durable neoprene (high density neoprene preferred).
2. Fast drying
3. Plush inner lining to make putting on and doffing on easier
4. Tough outer lining around the knees, elbows, shoulders and hips.

The closest I've seen are the pinnacle breaker and the scubapro thermal tec.

KJSmith84, thx for the info however, I already have an everflex 3mm but it takes forever to dry and isn't really durable. I've also been told that scubapro doesn't allow for overseas purchases/shipping.

jameseg, yeah u are right the velocity m fits fine but I'm concerned about the durability too.

Akimbo, thanks I'll go email them for prices including shipping. I'll ask them if they can do something with the features I want.

Thanks guys.

… I already have an everflex 3mm but it takes forever to dry and isn't really durable...

Consider skin-in/nylon out and use a diluted spray of hair conditioner or liquid hand soap. Here are the advantages, IMHO:

• You slide into the suit like a greased pig… easier than sliding on a Tee shirt.
  • You don’t care if the inside dries or not.
  • It is warmer because the film of water is thinner and the material is more flexible, which reduces “pumping” as you move.
  • It is less abrasive on tender water-logged skin

Granted, spraying the lube into the suit is a bit of a hassle. But it is so much faster and easier to don than a Nylon-2 suit it more than makes up for it… especially if you are already sweating.

Last edited:
I am 5'7" 135 lbs. I bought a 5mm Pinnacle Tempo based on the size charts on their website and it fits me perfectly.

My kids have Bare Velocity 5/4 's in medium and large. Length-wise they are perfect, in the body perhaps a bit loose, but acceptable; the arms, though are out of proportion large and are very loose.

My wife, who is petite, has a Henderson Thermoprene which fits her quite well.

SP have great gear, might also look at Lavacore

Back
Top Bottom