Tritonia Diomedia sighting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carpoza

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My daughter and I were diving San Carlos beach yesterday and on the way out to the Metridium we saw what looked like a huge nudibrach swimming a few inches above the bottom at about 40-45 ft. It was 6-8 inches long and a dark maroon color (in the low light anyway). We talked with Glen and his son Scott at Aquarius II and Scott told us he had seen a large nudi in the same area and different one at the wall. He sent me some photos of what he thought it might be and both my daughter and I thought it looked most like the Tritonia Diomedia. I didn't know such large nudibrachs were found in the Monterey area. Has any one else seen one in that area? If it wasn't the Tritonia then what could it be? Unfortunately my GoPros batteries gave out just before the dive, otherwise I would have video for you all.:depressed:

probably a rainbow aka giant nudi. Don't know the latin name off hand. I have seen then in that area they climb onto and eat the tube anemones out on the sand there, lay their eggs on the anemone stalks as well. Very interesting to watchHow was the vis there yesterday. I am about to dive down there to dive now and am curious to knowthanks

If it was large, red, and swimming and you saw it at breakwater, chances are more or less certain iit was Dendronotus iris.

One of these fellows:

dendronotus-iris-eating-ane.jpg

050398-1.jpg

Dendronotus, I believe. I've seen them swim and eating anemones at the breakwater.

Back
Top Bottom