Tripod for underwater macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone using a tripod for underwater macro video.

Tempted to buy a cheap Gorillapod type tripod and to see how it performs underwater.
My problem is i will have to buy a tripod and new tray .

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone using a tripod underwater.
I assume more &more people will be taking macro type video now with the latest DSLR video output quality.

Should work well for macro shots in the sand. I suggest carrying a 3 pound soft weight. Put the weight on top of the camera to hold the camera/tripod down.

Do you really think three pounds is needed. If your camera is even slightly negatively buoyant won't that be good enough? Three pounds is a lot of extra weight to carry around for the rest of the dive?

If you want super quality macro video a tripod is mandatory and within reason...the heavier the better!!! Gates makes an AWESOME tripod for shooting macro video!!

JohnnyO
------------
"What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?"

Do you really think three pounds is needed. If your camera is even slightly negatively buoyant won't that be good enough? Three pounds is a lot of extra weight to carry around for the rest of the dive?

Depends on your definition of slightly negative and how big your system is. A diver might not even notice a slight current or surge, but a camcorder sitting in the sand will, unless you weigh it down. 3 pounds works for me. You can always try less or no weight at all. Your system and dive conditions might allow it.

Macro video is really tough and frustrating. In addition to a tripod, the dive site and conditions need to be right. Find the subject, find a place for the tripod to sit without trashing the reef and hope your subject doesn't move much. I've had good luck with sandy bottoms.

[vimeo]39919718[/vimeo]

Last edited:
Depends on your definition of slightly negative and how big your system is. A diver might not even notice a slight current or surge, but a camcorder sitting in the sand will, unless you weigh it down. 3 pounds works for me. You can always try less or no weight at all. Your system and dive conditions might allow it.

Macro video is really tough and frustrating. In addition to a tripod, the dive site and conditions need to be right. Find the subject, find a place for the tripod to sit without trashing the reef and hope your subject doesn't move much. I've had good luck with sandy bottoms.

[vimeo]39919718[/vimeo]

Great video. That totally makes sense and I guess in Coz right now you would need 10 lbs and a mini house to keep the thing from flying away. I will be heading to Bonaire and with unhurried (no boat waiting) and hopefully low current dives. I am really looking forward to concentrating on some up close macro video. I like your garden eels especially and I guess setting down the camera, letting it role and then swimming away can result in some really nice natural footage not only of the eels but also any animal that tends to be shy around divers.

If you are in a sand or mud area a mono-pod works well and is much easier to use and set up.

Take a look at Bubblevisions demo reel for some amazing macro footage. I'm sure he would also answer questions on his technique and equipment.

Back
Top Bottom