Triple L jumpsuit reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was on the Triple L website and found a link to this website. I'm looking at getting a hooded jumpsuit from Triple L. I would like to hear from those who have one give their experiences with the rate of water leaking into the suit. Was there enough water coming in that it made you cold? If so how long before you felt you had to get out of the water?

Thanks

I have two Triple-L wetsuits that I have been quite happy with. While not the most supple suits, for the money, these are very good basic neoprene suits. And since I fit perfectly in their medium suits, I have no complaints and consider myself a happy customer.

One of the suits that I have is a 3mm hooded jumpsuit. Though it was ordered by accident (I was attempting to get the non-hooded suit, but there was a miscommunication), it performed quite admirability on my trip to Thailand. Sure, a 3mm hooded full suit is a little on the overkill side for 80 degree water, but I was incredible warm. Water did not leak, and in fact I had to break the seal a few times to let to water in to cool myself down. I usually get cold quickly, but I could have been in the water all day long. What water temp and suit thickness where you considering? Obviously, matching the thickness of the suit with the water temp is significant in your comfort.

There are two minor drawbacks on their hooded full suit design:

1. The extra neoprene flap that prevents the zipper from catching does not extend all the way up the zipper. I think it goes up to the neck. As the result, the last little bit of zipper is fully expose to the skin. I would like the extra flap, just in case I happen to catch skin on the zipper.

2. Like most lower end hoods, there are no air holes. On the first dive of the day, this made no difference. But on the second dive, my hood would catch the exhaust air and start to fill up. Nothing dramatic, but enough to provide me a small annoyance. It seems that many hoods do not have air vent holes, and this can be remedied with a variety of DIY solutions. It would have been nice if the hood came pre-vented, but the suit was so inexpensive, it isn't a big deal.

Good luck.

ae3753:
What water temp and suit thickness where you considering?

I'll be freediving in Southern California in waters between 60-72 degrees. So I was considering getting the 5mm jumpsuit with hood and the undershirt for added warmth.

ae3753:
1. The extra neoprene flap that prevents the zipper from catching does not extend all the way up the zipper. I think it goes up to the neck. As the result, the last little bit of zipper is fully expose to the skin. I would like the extra flap, just in case I happen to catch skin on the zipper.

So the zipper goes all the way up through the hood meaning I would feel the zipper handle around the corner or my mouth?

Spinal Tap:
So the zipper goes all the way up through the hood meaning I would feel the zipper handle around the corner or my mouth?

Yes, the zipper goes all the way up to the hood opening. When I first put it on dry (on land), I was annoyed that the zipper went to my mouth. It's a pretty hefty zipper, and you can feel it. However, in water I didn't really notice it after a few dives. But having the extra flap of neoprene extending the entire length of the zipper would have resolved any issue.

I dive the 7mm triple-l jumpsuit with a hooded vest in northern california (~50 degree water) and it works like a champ. I had the leg zippers slide up during my first few dives that really drained my heat but i fixeed that with 2 little loops of bungee through the zipper and looped over my foot. After i did that i was toasty. Personally i like a non-hooded wetsuit so i can have options for hood (like hooded vest for extra warmth)

I have the 3mm jumpsuit, and the only time I have had a leakage problem was in Baker Lake, which is snow runoff (not diving - waterskiing). Of course the other times I have used it have been tropical or in pools...

Spinal Tap:
I was on the Triple L website and found a link to this website. I'm looking at getting a hooded jumpsuit from Triple L. I would like to hear from those who have one give their experiences with the rate of water leaking into the suit. Was there enough water coming in that it made you cold? If so how long before you felt you had to get out of the water?

Thanks

If water leaks in or not depends on how well the suit fits. Tripple L will custom make a suit for you for a little extra price and a lot more shipping. But warmth depends of a good fit.
If thier size chart works for you that why not get it?

I don't think I'd like the zipping in the hood. Better to get a hooded vest and wear it under the full suit. You say you are in So. Cal. The water is NOT 60F here, not now. It was only high 50's this morning. Most prople here use a 7mm suit. It summer some will use a 5mm but most are still in the 7mm suits year round ....Just re-read your messaage. I do use a 5/3mm suit for summer time shorkeling at catalina. If you are not scuba diving youca use a thinner suit in summer

The Tripple L suits I've seen are made out of an older style of neoprene. It is stiffer than what the more expensize suits are made from but this stiffer rubber might laster longer.

My 13 year old son need a 7mm suit. I'm seriously thnking "Triple L" as I don't want to pay big bucks for something he will ooutgrow in a year.

I agree with ChrisA. Especially, for the kid, it is the best suit and we keep up the new suit everytime. I also had 7mm for my buddy (lady). She likes it excpet the bulky zipper and design (color). A~~ha, there is another pro. She doesn't care about mainteance that much after the dive compared to me. She always thinks that she can buy another one if something is wrong, but who is going to pay for that.... Gee~~it is me.

Back
Top Bottom