Trip Video - Sipadan September 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone told me that Eljer was still with Borneo Divers but now at Mabul, of course.

Where did you stay CWK?

Nice footage, beautiful animals and a pleasant sound track. A nice reminder that despite the pandemic...people somewhere are diving. Liked the tuna...don't recall seeing one on any of my diving (never been to that area), and hope to someday.

Sipadan is one of those destinations I hear about every once in awhile, but nowhere near as often as Raja Ampat or Komodo. What led you to choose it over alternatives? What's distinctive about it? Inquiring minds want to know...

Richard.
Quite frankly, I went to Sipadan 3 times this year because a) I could not travel elsewhere because of Covid related travel restrictions and b) Sipadan was not crowded with tourists because of travel restrictions.

Sipadan is famous for schools of barracuda, jacks, and bumpheads as well as lots of turtles. If you’re lucky, it’s also possible to see hammers, whale sharks, leopard sharks and mobulars.

I was staying with BD Mabul. I didn’t come across Eljer when I was there this year.

I hope he's well. He was practically a kid when I met him.

I stayed at Borneo Divers on the island first. Because it was being shut down, there'd been no maintenance in, I've no idea how long. I was a bit grossed out.

But then, mid-trip, I moved over to Borneo Divers new resort on Mabel. It was really nice. My room was as if no one had stayed in it before and that may well have been the case. The pool had not been put in and the gardens had not grown yet so the grounds were dismal but I was there to dive anyway, so mattered not.

I always thought that I would be back long before now.

I suppose that the Mabul resort is run down now from time in the tropics attacking it, though the gardens are probably well grown.

How many permits did you get to dive at the island?

Very nice video and editing. Love the frogfish, the walking scorpion fish and barracuda schools. Thank you for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom