Trip to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which point am I missing?

That Rip Curl is a multi-national corp. that makes wetsuits all over the world that are of the (ostensibly, and I'm sure you'll find something to pick apart here) same quality, and theses very suits are going for 2000 baht right now?

or

that 2000 baht and 1700 baht are 6 euros apart?

I mentioned the local shop that makes custom suits as an option. I'm not making any statement's on Dave's suits. Never bought one. I know three people that have, but I'd prefer them to speak for themselves. I can tell you that his team of seamstresses are amazingly nice and have repaired my dive bag and several pairs of shorts that I'm too sentimental to toss out. I even had them put a wetsuit zip on my favorite hoody for cloudy days so the salt wouldn't keep crusting up on the metal.

The point is that we were discussing the variation in costs to diving equipment that is produced outside of Thailand, and the effect of Thai import duties on these products, so throwing an item into the discussion that is produced in Thailand is really irrelevant. We are all aware of the low costs that apply to most items produced within Thailand in particular, clothing. Mainly due to low labour costs.
With regard to the Rip Curl issue, if they are on special offer at the moment fine, but even at the offer price they are still more expensive (BY 17.6%) than I can buy a suit of equal quality within the UK, so unless I am missing something, it would appear that we agree on that one.
It would appear to me you just want to turn a discussion into a meaningless argument.:confused:

- I live in Spain. Should I buy the basic equipment here and bring it with me? Or buy it in Thailand.

So, right, back to the question asked.

You can get some good deals in Thailand. I'm not sure if I mentioned this :wink: but you can even get 3 or 4 mil full length Rip Curl for 2000 Baht on Tao. That same suit costs around 170 USD or just over 5700 baht when I did a quick check online at scuba.com. Seems like a considerable savings to me.

You can get custom made suits for very cheap (see my previous post for a shop on Tao, but there are shops on both sides that do the same work. You'll see a company "Deep Blue" that sells suits made here come up often). You might find that when buying some of your first items, you don't mind saving money for a minor loss in quality (wetsuit, fins, mask). Deep Blue wetsuits are a perfect example. I would prefer a European made suit because I work here, but I see tourists buying cheaper makes all the time and with less time spent diving they seem to last. Don't take that as gospel, it's just a casual observation. You might, on the other hand, want be very sure that your serious equipment (reg, bcd, computer) are as top notch as you can afford. Regardless of where you buy it, I would do more research on those items.

I would suggest doing some quick research on what you think fair market value is in Spain/Europe, and then come over here and buy the suit, fins and mask, maybe. At least have a look. It'll save you the weight on one of the legs of your journey, anyway.

Also consider that if you dive with a shop here, there is almost always someone who is willing to either pass on the discount they may get for having a relationship with one of the retail stores, or the shop you dive with itself will buy equipment at trade and then pass on some of the discount to you. On Tao, 10 % is often standard.

Either way, Thanshin, have a great trip and glad to see that people are still coming our way to enjoy the Thai diving.

LK, I hope that clears up some of why I didn't find my response meaningless. As for the back and forth on import taxes and Thai made quality, it wasn't that I'm unaware of it, I just didn't find it very relevant to what Thanshin was asking. I think new divers with simple questions deserve equally simple responses.

Oh, and feel free to recalculate the percentages now that we're talking about comparing the same product.

I agree mgmonk, and was my earlier simple response not that generally equipment in Europe is much cheaper than in Thailand, you can argue all you want it will not change the facts, however as everything in life, there is always odd exceptions to the rule.
Another benefit to buying your equipment near home is if you have a problem with the said items after your purchase you dont have to bring them back to Thailand to sort out the problem.
With regard to your $170 wet suit, it never ceases to amaze me how many people will pay highly inflated prices for an item with a fancy name/logo, and these items quite often are of no better quality than cheaper ones. (this applies not only to scuba equipment)
Personally a number of years ago I purchased a wetsuit made to measure at my local dive shop in the UK I dont remember actual costs but me and a friend purchased one each for less than the cost of one 'branded' suit. Mine is plain blue and black neoprene with no logo, and I am still using the same suit without problem about 10 years and well in excess of a thousand dives later.

I'm more the "Batman" type. Do they make those too?

They do, they do!!!! (seen it in the water) I think you can get any superhero standard, or even make up your own....

Bowmouth the Basher, Big Bowmouth the Brain Eater....

Go ahead and get creative, Bowmouth! I once had a diver get a dark blue model with orange flame-shaped appliques around the ankles and wrists and a Denver Bronco's logo printed on the chest.

Bowmouth,

I dare not imagine what you'd do with a Batman wetsuit - since you don't seem to dive much anymore.

You could wear it to visit some HQ Shrimp in September? You could even take your camera.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom