Trip to Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not try the JAM bus from manila to Batangas? It cost 3$... If you get the first one of the day (5am or so), it only takes about 1h30 (no traffic). Then the Bangka from batangas to whichever locale you are headed for (in my case it was Sabang) = 5$. I had 2 full bags for my trip and there were no problems.

Also, about the unlimited diving thing... A word of caution... Are you looking for quantity? Or quality? There are lots of dive operations there that have small speedboats, filled to the brim each dive. And do 4-5 dives each day, some of which are not to the premium sites. They'll cattle you off and yes you will get lots of diving in, but not necessarily to the sites you want to dive and possibly in huge gangs. That's ok for some. For others, quality is the name of the game. And then, often the smaller shops have an advantage! I did my DM course with such a shop and they aim to pelase the customer by bringing you where you want to go, to see what you want to see, as long as it is within your diving skill limits and the present conditions ( Sabang diving varies greatly with the tides; some sites become dangerous at certain times and are therefore not an option for a responsible dive operation). And diving with a small group, it's a lot more fun experience in general.

There are also some bigger ops, that limit the number of divers in a boat, and personalise more to your preferences. But these in general are not the "great deal on diving" operations...

Anyways, I just wanted to bring these points up because 5 dives a day, if 3 of them are under the floating bar with a huge group, isn't really that great of a deal (those who have been there know what I mean) ! But there are lots of options out there, so shopping around (you could even do it once over there) to find what suits you most is the way to go!

Cheers!:coffee:

Thanks everyone for your comments, I now have plenty of traction.
As far as getting everything in stone, you must sense that I am an engineer, you would be correct.

Actually I dive on the second week of my Taiwan or China biz trips. I fly back home from Hong Kong to Guam from there I can fly anywhere. I have been diving to Yap (2), Guam, Bali and last month I was in Palau for the second time. $10 and 25K miles to wherever. The rest the company picks up. Yea, I know, i stepped in it.

I am leaning to wards Action divers/Deep Blue Sea, I have asked for more info. I liked Coco Beach divers unlimited diving with Nitrox, that woudl be awesome if I can get it here. One thing is clear is that it is a bit of a haul from the airport to PG. Based on my first experience in Manila, what is the best way to get there? Shared transport is fine, private looks too $$. Keep in mind that I will have a full set of dive gear in tow(60 cu in bag) Thoughts?

sharklover, I second Codman's reco in just taking the JAM bus liner. It is very easy and the dive bags go underneath the cabin (like the greyhound buses) so they don't cram you. From Manila just take a cab to the bus terminal (there's one in GMA Kamuning and one in Pasay). There's another bus that leaves from Buendia but I can't remember the name and the buses aren't as nice as the JAM buses.

The bus is direct to Batangas Pier (unless someone wants to stop along the way) and once you arrive, there are many baggage handlers that will want to carry your stuff for you (you can politely decline if you don't want help). The handlers will also direct you to which ferry is the next one to leave for PG. Once you pay you can walk across to the waiting area before taking the ferry over.

@ codman: glad to hear you finished safe and sound in PG. Please post a trip report! And it's also great that you are able to provide insight.

If you have any pics, please post them in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...635-philippines-promotion-picture-thread.html
! :)

I would not take the JAM bus with your gear.

Just hire a taxi to drive you down or arrange a car with your dive shop or lodging.

I would recommend Frontier scuba-they do REC/TEC diving and instruction, have massive experience, are very small and personable, and dive with no more than 6 divers on the boat.
Rick the english owner is a great guy with a very good rep in the dive community.
He is very knowledgeable about travel in the Philippines as well.

enjoy!

I would not take the JAM bus with your gear...

Of course not with his gear, you'd take the JAM bus with your own gear. :D

But seriously, lots of divers, including myself, have commuted using the JAM bus with our own gear. Multiple times. I'm guessing it's more for time and convenience that you say you wouldn't take the JAM bus.

So yes, If you're willing to spend on the private/shared van hire, go for it. Especially since it's your first time here. If the resort can't handle it for you, try contact the Scuba1.net - The Official Website of the Scuba1.Net Dive Club people - I know they run regular trips to the pier.

Chip, I had the best of times! Yes, I'll definetly need to write a report and post some pictures. But there is so much to say, and so many pictures, I need to do some triage first! i'm still trying to get over the shock of returning to work. But honnestly, what struck me most I believe, is how kind and hospitable the Philippino people are! They really touched my heart...

Oh, and added detail about the JAM bus; your luggage is stored in the compartment under the bus, which is locked! So no way someone can steal it during a stop...

Cheers!

sharklover, I second Codman's reco in just taking the JAM bus liner. It is very easy and the dive bags go underneath the cabin (like the greyhound buses) so they don't cram you. From Manila just take a cab to the bus terminal (there's one in GMA Kamuning and one in Pasay). There's another bus that leaves from Buendia but I can't remember the name and the buses aren't as nice as the JAM buses.

The bus is direct to Batangas Pier (unless someone wants to stop along the way) and once you arrive, there are many baggage handlers that will want to carry your stuff for you (you can politely decline if you don't want help). The handlers will also direct you to which ferry is the next one to leave for PG. Once you pay you can walk across to the waiting area before taking the ferry over.

@ codman: glad to hear you finished safe and sound in PG. Please post a trip report! And it's also great that you are able to provide insight.

If you have any pics, please post them in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...635-philippines-promotion-picture-thread.html
! :)

I guess its personal preference on the bus with gear thing.
I have done the trip lots but I only carry one bag and no gear.

I would definately say first time there with gear=hire a car!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom