Trip to Cozumel - Recommend a waterproof camera?? please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankrom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Guys!

I am off to Cozumel in October and I want to make sure I have an underwater camera to capture my experience. However, I know very little about underwater cameras and was hoping someone could give me some suggestions on a good camera? or a good resource website (I haven't found much so far).

I am looking for a small digital camera, similiar to a point and shoot, one that can also take video as well. I was hoping this camera could also be used as my regular point and shoot after scuba diving as I do not have one. Is this possible? any recomemndations? I relaly do NOT want one with a delay as I hear that can be a nightmare trying to take photos of fish as they swim.

Anyone know anyhting about these Go Pro cameras? are they any good?

Thanks!

First recommendation is get more bottom time before you start task-loading with a camera. I have a few dives, and I don't carry my camera in for the first day...
Other divers with cameras are often pleased to share or take a shot you'd like.
That said, when you are ready for a camera underwater-

I don't know anything about GoPro, but I can highly recommend a Canon in one of their waterproof housings. I've used the A620 in the housing for 5 years and get quality shots. A working DM buddy just picked up the same setup I have, with some nice extras, for $250.

You can check out a little of what I have gotten at Flickr: pelagicsal's Photostream or http://imageshack.com/user/pelagicsal

A far as delay goes, be sure to buy a fast memory card and use fresh batteries.

A good camera review site is Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ. It's not uw, though, just general.

I also hear the new Panasonic Lumix tough model is great...

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom