Trip Report - Tolten Wreck - With Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
NOAA was way off. It was Lake Atlantic on the 29th of August as we hit the Tolten on the Ol'Salty II. Flat as can be. Although the boat was a bit crowded for my taste, the diving was good. The viz was EXCELLENT all the way to the top of the boilers, but then it went down to 5'. We could see divers 60' from the surface, and from the boat we could see divers 25' down! The descent was like the Carolina's. You could see all the bubbles and divers well below you.

Jeremiah and I had two dives on the Tolten. He was diving his Revo rebreather and I was on doubles. We brought up one lobster on dive #1 that was about 3 1/2 pounds and quite tasty. Jeremiah also got some mussels. I didn't see too many fish worth shooting, but others said they were there. I guess they knew I had a new paralyzer trident tip on the pole spear and stayed away from me.

There appeared to be lots of newer divers who need to learn etiquette for how to deal with divers on their way up or on their stops. Stop above them> Move off the line> swim below them> get back on the line to continue descent. Do not barrel through and kick them please. I know you are new, but please have some common courtesy (sorry for that, it was bothering me).

Great job by the crew, who were awesome.

Two YouTube video's I took while wearing my Liquid Image HD Video Mask. Warning! It's shaky because this is a true Point of View camera, so wherever I look, the camera goes that way. It can get dizzying.....

First Dive: YouTube - Tolten Wreck - NJ Scuba Diving - Liquid Image HD Video Mask
Second Dive: YouTube - NJ Wreck Diving on the Tolten - Wearing Liqiud Image HD Video Mask

:rofl3: Yes, the video can be dizzying. Thanks for posting the links.

I have not experience the problem with new divers on the descend line but can imagine it would be annoying to be barreled over and kicked on the line.

My issue with boat diving in the NE are the divers who silt up the site. It's mainly divers with no regard for their buoyancy and control in the water column as they spearfish or lobster hunt while bouncing off the wreck or the bottom. IMO divers should hone in their buoyancy and control in the water column before task loading themselves with hunting.

I know it's possible because I don't see this problem on my FL boat dives.. Not implying or pointing the finger at OP or his buddy just what I've experienced on my boat dives out of CT, NY and NJ.

Safe dives. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom