trip report to Moalboal, with photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I went for a 2 1/2 week trip to the Philippines. The main destination was Kasai Village Resort in Moalboal, where we stayed previously. On this trip, we stopped off at the Shangri-La resort in Mactan first. We had stayed there before, and knew that it was very nice, with great restaurants and a relaxing environment. We decided to stay there at the beginning of the trip to get over jet lag (having traveled from the U.S.). It was a good idea. We stayed for six days, and we dove for four days at the Shangri-La. While the diving was not as good as Moalboal, or a number of other Philippines diving destinations, it is well worth doing. Our favorite dive site was Talima, which had a nice little wreck, and beautiful corals and critters.

After spending 6 nights at the Shangri-La, we were picked up by a driver who took us to Moalboal. It was a little under three hours, and we arrived at the Kasai Village Resort. We were the only guests at the resort at the time, although other guests came and went during the week. We really like the diving around Moalboal, and we also like this resort a lot. The people are very nice, the dive operation is excellent, the food is good, and the rooms are simple and comfortable. There is not much else to do (you can arrange for tours, although we did not), but that was fine with us. Our dive guide for the whole trip was Tata, who was wonderful. He was very considerate, and was a phenomenal critter spotter. He could spot a little soft coral crab from 10 meters away. Simply amazing. While a main attraction for divers traveling to Moalboal are the sardines around Pescador Island, the other sites are equally attractive to us. Mostly, the sites are walls, and the healthy reefs and fish diversity and density make all of the sites well worth diving. The walls at Pescador Island are quite nice, and the wall at the Marine Sanctuary was particularly memorable. Also the critter density at Copton Point was incredible. It was not as pretty from the scenic reefscape point of view, but the number of nudibranchs, crabs, pipefish, and other macro critter attractions was wonderful. We requested to go there a second time because we liked it so much. The visibility during this trip was only fair (maybe 15m) compared to our previous trip (when it was probably ~35m). As a result I took more macro shots than I usually do. That was fine because either wide angle or macro would be a good choice for the vast majority of dive sites. We did 2 morning dives each day, and usually did an afternoon dive as well. You can also schedule night dives, but we did not.

Here are a few pictures that give a sense of what we saw.

First, here is a shot of the sardines from Pescador Island.

Here is a shrimp on the bubble coral. There were lots of these.

This reefscape shot is from a dive from the Shangri-La in Mactan.

Next is a soft coral crab. Again we spotted lots of these, which was very exciting for me. I had not seen one previously.

We also saw a lot of ornate ghost pipefish, such as this one.

This school of silver batfish was seen on a dive from the Shangri-La

There were tons anemone fish at all of the dive sites.

This gorgonian scenery was from the marine sanctuary dive site close to the Kasai Village Resort.

If you would like to see more, the whole set of photos from this trip are located at the following link:
2011 philippines - cebu and moalboal - a set on Flickr

Cheers,
Erwin

Thank you for sharing your pictures.

moalboal definitely one of my favorites....

Great photos Erwin, esp the ornate ghost pipefish and the bubble coral shrimp closeup. Those sardines are pretty amazing huh? I miss diving in Moalboal. How was the resort op?

Thanks very much everyone.

Great photos Erwin, esp the ornate ghost pipefish and the bubble coral shrimp closeup. Those sardines are pretty amazing huh? I miss diving in Moalboal. How was the resort op?

The sardines are amazing, and the rest of the diving is excellent, too. The dive operation was wonderful, one of the best I have ever seen.
-Erwin

Thanks for the report. I'm heading to Moalboal end of August and Kasai is one of the three places I'm considering. Glad to hear another enjoyed their stay and diving. I'm planning only 4 days with one day with Action Adventure. I hope its enough time to enjoy Moalboal.

Thanks for the report. I'm heading to Moalboal end of August and Kasai is one of the three places I'm considering. Glad to hear another enjoyed their stay and diving. I'm planning only 4 days with one day with Action Adventure. I hope its enough time to enjoy Moalboal.

Three days of diving would get you some of the best highlights, although I was glad to have had more time. I would recommend making sure that you see Pescador Island (for the sardines and nice walls), Copton Point for the critters, and the Marine Sanctuary for the gorgonians. All of the dives were good, but those have highlights that were memorable. Tata was our dive guide, and he was great, particularly for the critter spotting. I would highly recommend Kasai. Let me know if you have other questions.
-Erwin

Thanks edpdiver!

My brother will be tagging along with me this trip but he only snorkels. Can you comment about the snorkeling in front of Kasai?

On any of the dive sites you dove, is it possible for my brother to snorkel next to the boat while I do my dives? I heard its possible at Pescador Island atop the wall. How about any other sites you would recommend for that?

Where is Kasai located in Moalboal. I couldn't tell from their website or maybe I missed it.

If I wanted to hang at a nice beach for a few hrs in the afternoon, any recommendations...such as white beach?

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom