Trip report Sep 2014: Palau Aggressor - VERY BAD EXPERIENCE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I figure from here one of 2 things will happen. Either this will be a one time issue (which could be for a variety of reasons; things weren't as bad as reported, things were but got straightened out, an employees snit or attitude got fixed, somebody got fired, etc...), in which case other people will have good experiences and a few post good trip reports, or...

it won't be a one time issue, and we'll see another bad report or 2 about this boat, from somebody else, on a different trip, sometime within the next several months. If that happens, it will start building a bad reputation for the boat.

For the sake of the business and the customers both, with no disrespect to the original poster, I hope this blows over and happy customers and a well-run business prove to be the case, at least in the future. Time will tell.

Richard.

My perspective sees what poster 1300 sees. Little things that may have been completely overlooked and forgotten as one offs stacked upon each other become like a stone under the saddle. Or in my case the pea under the mattresses.

And it's important not to overlook that the OP saw what they saw, and felt what they felt, and they are NOT WRONG. I have learned over the years that all boats are not for all customers, and the person who wants to dive 7 a day may not be the same as the person who wants table service in the evening. There are boats to fit every style, and the OP has let us know what style of boat is in Palau. There are other offerings in Palau, some might be happier to take advantage of them.

She didn't like the DM's joke on the bus, didn't like that DM's GF got a free ride, didn't like that the DM wasn't paying enough attention to the guests, didn't like how the DM was blocking someone else's view of the clock, didn't like that the DM yelled at someone for killing coral, didn't like that the DM didn't keep track of everybody's dive times all week.

There's a pattern here, and only one one of these was something that directly effected the OP, yet she complained about them all.

It it were my boat and it was less than a day to shore, I would have gone back to the dock and invited her to leave and issued a refund, rather than ruin the mood for the rest of the guests.

Whining is contagious. It only takes one person to ruin a trip for everybody.

flots.

Normally I'd agree with you. If I'm paying a lot of money for a trip, however, I expect the staff I've hired to refrain from acting like assholes 100% of the time--not just in their interactions with me. Call me funny, but even observing that behavior is like a rancid fart in the dining room.

Also, if you're going to impose stupid restrictions on my diving--but tell the chick the DM's boning that she can dive whenever/however she wants--I'm going to be very displeased with you. That more than anything else here struck me as grounds for :censored:ing all over the staff's conduct (aside from the corporate responses, which seem par for the course for this fleet and will keep me from ever using not-their boats).

Last edited:
What a lot of people fail to recognize is that perception is reality. There were a couple of examples of this within the thread, not just by the OP.

I worked at a place once where people were complaining about the manner in which I communicated. I had never had any issues with previous companies and did this job the same way I did the others. Other co-workers and friends called it all BS and said, it was just a complainer or two. But the bottom line on my annual review were those perceptions, which in turn became my reality.

After examining it and just changing a few things - words I used, body language, level of excitability, the complaints went away. I change their perception, and thus the reality.

This Randy fellow created a perception that is displeasing. While his actions may not "directly impact" the OP, the actions were impacting on the diving environment. Even if only perception.

fwiw most coral can and do (not their only means btw) reproduce by fracturing or breakage a fin brushing up a acropora or montipora coral (or any soft coral for that matter) may injure it in a acute manner it should in no way present an untimely demise, these creatures are made up of thousands of individuals residing in a colony so yes you may kill one or a hundred individuals you probably won't kill the whole colony in fact it may spark a growth spurt. what happens during hurricanes and typhoons? also there are many coral predators out there a little "tickle with a fin isn't the worst thing that coral has or will experience. imho

Also, fwiw, regarding the question "Who stocks this (red filter) in Palau, and for how much?"-well, maybe no one, and maybe it doesn't matter. The USPS provides the mail service in Palau, and most significant purchases made by ex pats in Palau are purchased on-line and sent via USPS in a nice $15-20 priority mail box. According to the Aggressor staff who provided me with this gem of hint last year, it takes only a day or two longer than it would shipping across the US.
This would come in very handy for any of you future Palau visitors who like souvenirs but dont want to lug them home, crammed in an already too full/too heavy dive bag.

fwiw... a little "tickle" with a fin isn't the worst thing that coral has or will experience. imho

fwiw most divers that "tickle the coral with a fin" tend to do it incessantly throughout their dive (based on poor buoyancy control, propulsion skills, and situational awareness) while also breaking sea fans with their dragged consoles... grabbing onto coral with both hands... in between kneeling/laying/standing on the reef to take a picture... before frantically zipping off and silting the site up for the other divers. imho

Also, fwiw, regarding the question "Who stocks this (red filter) in Palau, and for how much?"-well, maybe no one, and maybe it doesn't matter. The USPS provides the mail service in Palau, and most significant purchases made by ex pats in Palau are purchased on-line and sent via USPS in a nice $15-20 priority mail box. According to the Aggressor staff who provided me with this gem of hint last year, it takes only a day or two longer than it would shipping across the US.
This would come in very handy for any of you future Palau visitors who like souvenirs but dont want to lug them home, crammed in an already too full/too heavy dive bag.

Having lived in Micronesia for a number of years, I would consider that to be the stars aligning and the package being transported on the backs of rainbow farting unicorns. Yes, ordering online in micronesia is no different than ordering in Topeka, KS. except that the power may be out, the internet may be out, the plane may "come soon", the mail bag got left at Hono, the plane broke in Kwaj, the customs inspector didn't go to work that day, the mail carrier is off island, the post office isn't open for some unknown and mysterious reason, or the boat is offshore for a week, meaning it didn't come for another week.

Hell, I ordered a generator part from Seattle now 3 weeks ago. It was in stock and shipped USPS to Ft. Lauderdale. Seattle claims it shipped, Fort Lauderdale claims they haven't seen it, no one bothered to track it, and I still don't have my part. On Monday I'll order it again next day air. At least I'll get tracking if I do.

Having lived in Micronesia for a number of years, I would consider that to be the stars aligning and the package being transported on the backs of rainbow farting unicorns. Yes, ordering online in micronesia is no different than ordering in Topeka, KS. except that the power may be out, the internet may be out, the plane may "come soon", the mail bag got left at Hono, the plane broke in Kwaj, the customs inspector didn't go to work that day, the mail carrier is off island, the post office isn't open for some unknown and mysterious reason, or the boat is offshore for a week, meaning it didn't come for another week.

Hell, I ordered a generator part from Seattle now 3 weeks ago. It was in stock and shipped USPS to Ft. Lauderdale. Seattle claims it shipped, Fort Lauderdale claims they haven't seen it, no one bothered to track it, and I still don't have my part. On Monday I'll order it again next day air. At least I'll get tracking if I do.

All those things could happen, but apparently, they almost never do. Your experience and expertise in the Palau mail situation-and whatever conclusion you may make to support your position on the now infamous "red filter" issue-flies in the face of what i was told, and repeatedly observed, to be true. And, apparently in the face of the islanders' and ex pats' experiences as well. I watched the aggressor crew open their mail packages-received on time- full of glee, more than once. Additionally, I became acquinted with several othrper DMs, hotel staff, and NGO workers who also get what they need in the way I have described. Heard exactly zero stories of delayed/lost mail-including the very expensive engagement ring that one LOB staff purchased fron the US and received promptly.
just saying-if there was a price mark up of $100 UsD on a $15 filter-it's hard to attribute it to expensive shipping. Whatever one attributes it to, it cant plausibly be attributed to that.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom