Trip Report - SB Bonaire Invasion - 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoundForElsewhere

Snarkmeister
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is probably going to be long because I have a lot to say about this trip.

First and foremost, my deepest gratitude and respect goes to Dennis and Roxanne for their steadfast dedication and Herculean efforts in making this happen. I can’t get a family of four out the door for a day trip and you guys put this all together in such splendid fashion. Thank you, dearly, from me and my entire family. This was one of our most cherished trips and will remain so forever.

Okay, enough of the mushy stuff.

Van der Velk Plaza was amazing. The grounds and accommodations were world class. Our room was in perfect condition, the bathroom impeccable, and air conditioning was more than adequate. We had a condensation leak the first night of our trip but they were there the next morning to fix it. The true measure of a place is not if there are any problems but how fast they fix them when they arise.

The restaurant was beautifully set up with gorgeous views of the ocean and pool area. Live talent was provided at least three nights while we were there. And actually talent, not someone’s cousin who won a karaoke contest. The food was ample and delicious. There was a little redundancy with desserts but that is more than understandable. Besides, if you really liked one of them, you got to have it 4 out of the 6 nights we were there! There were always at least eight different desserts plus ice cream and fresh fruit. Kudos to the Plaza for such great food and a beautiful restaurant.

Now, for the diving… I am sure there were some among us who can complain about the reef being bleached or there not being so many fish you bumped into them on every dive but I enjoyed it. I’ve never been to Bonaire before so the dives were exciting and I really loved them. Salt Pier was an absolute blast. I feel like I didn’t see as many critters as many of the others did but I am more than content with my experience diving. Which segues nicely into Toucan Divers.

I cannot give enough praise to Hagen and his team of DM’s and staff. The boats (I was only on two of them for the duration of the week) were clean, well maintained, and downright spacious. The entire process was impeccably organized and easy. I don’t think I have ever dived with such a professional operation. I would dive with Toucan no matter where they were located.

Finally, and not the least bit enough, more thanks to Roxanne and Dennis. Not only did they put together a great ScubaBoard trip but gave my family one of our best trips to date. So thank you from a scuba diver but even more thanks from a father.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom