Trip report Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I was lucky enough to take 6 days off and visit Playa del Carmen with my girlfriend in December. We stayed at the Reef Playacar, just down the road from PDC. The resort was a very nice resort...if your not super picky about ants in your bathroom or the air conditioner on the fritz here and there. The staff was very nice, even though we had to argue alittle bit with the front desk to get are room switched because of the non-working air conditioner. My girlfriend felt that you really do need to speak spanish to get things done around here. Good for us I do.

The resort had a dive shop on premise, which is the reason I dove with them. It just seemed like it would take alot out of my trip if I spent an hour traveling just to get to the boat to do my dives. The staff was incredibly friendly and made custom trips for the two of us. A couple of times I was the only person aside from the instructor diving on the boat.

1st dive: Both the girlfriend and I went on an easy afternoon dive that they normally use to check out their student divers. This was my GF first dive not in NY's rough waters, so we figured it would be a good dive to start on. Our dive briefing was very long and had tons of information in it...alittle much if your an experienced diver but very good if your just starting out. We had 4 other divers with us, one of which was a young girl doing her check out dives. After all the gear was got together we all decidied how much weight we needed, I only needed 8 lbs at most since I was using a backplate and i did not realize how much controversy that was going to cause. The shop owner came and talked to me about using more weight and then two more instructors came over to yell at me that I did not have enough, saying that Im not used to their water and NY water was completely different because I don't dive in the ocean. After telling them that I had done over 150 dives in NY OCEAN water and my experince with my recovery diving they choose to leave it alone hoping that I would come back tomorrow asking for more weight. I didn't.
the dive itself was wonderful, and it was great being able to share it with my GF for the first time. The profile was MAX 40ft for 45 mins. Super Conservitive for my taste but with a brand new diver on board I said what the hell. We ended the dive after 25 mins because of the newer diver reaching her turn around air pressure of 700 psi. Everyone else in the group had between 2000 and 1500 psi still in their tank. So what my group choose to do was add in a saftey stop for around 8 mins just to squeeze out the dive before the boat picked us up. My GF and I were very excited because we got to see a Turtle for the first time!

Dive 2 and 3... These dives were for the next day which I did without my GF. We went to the Mama Vina "wreck" and to Sabados Reef. Both dives were excellent. we had a different and more laid back instructor. The only issue I had with this dive was the fact that on the wreck the instructor choose to do a full penatration of it. Even though it was only 95 feet of water and viz was like 100ft, and I have done plenty of penetrations into wrecks bigger it was kinda felt like a bad idea. In fact in one of the lower rooms i had to help one of the other divers dis-entangle himself so we could get out of the wreck. But none the less very nice. The reef was great more and more turtles and two eels.

Dive 4 and 5... These were the cenotes. I will have to do a whole other post on these by themselves with pictures.

All in all the resort and dive shop were very nice and helpful. Just too conservative and not conservative when you needed them to be the opposite. I would dive again with them and hopefully next time I can take even less weight off just to mess with them.

Welcome to the PDC- in house dive profile- Unless you go to one of the SMALLER shops, a 45 minute dive is all you will ever get....but we still go back...try Cozmel and Dive with Martin Next time....

Yep, if you go to many Ops sporting a BP/W, they think you are either an instructor or a cave diver. I'm surprised they hassled you that much though. I've found they don't bother me.

Some shops will never deviate from their profiles. Hopefully, the next time and diffferent shop will make a difference. One thing this forum is very good at is getting advice from other divers on which shops provide less oversight and which ones will never let you outside their standard rules.

Sounds like it turned out okay for ya though....Merry Christmas!

We stayed in PDC Dec 2-7 and dove w/Fantaseadive and I got my longest ever dive's. However, as said above, it is a small dive shop and I was the only diver except for the last day when there was 1 other diver. That day we did the Mama Vina wreck. Some of the rooms were tight but Jason had warned us ahead of time what to look for, where there was small doors, cables hanging etc. That really made a difference to me!
Diving at the resort can make it easier sometimes, but some dive op's will pick you up at your resort.
Glad you got to see your first turtle and hope your GF enjoyed her diving also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom