Trip Report- Occidental Allegro and Palancar Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazyduck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cozumel 2007- Occidental Allegro resort and Palancar Divers
June 13th through the 18th

We were dropped off at DFW airport nice and early and cruised through check in and went on to the metal detectors. I have learned to send my wife and son through first and then send myself through last. Carrying a HID light head with cord, camera, underwater camera case, and dive computer makes sure you get the personalized attention by TSA. Sure enough I spent some special ‘one on one’ time with security- no problem. They asked me about my effects pulled it all out and then sent me on my way. Stopped by the Einstein Bagels and had a bagel and drink- a must to start a good vacation.

The flight to Cozumel was standard two and half hours and the Aero Mexico flight was full. Snack was fruit, yogurt, muffin, and we had sprite to drink. The landing was terrible. Our pilot dipped in the right tire first and the left tire caught about 3 seconds later. I was expecting to see NASCAR streaks on the runway from the landing… Last flight to Cozumel was excellent so this was a bit of a surprise. We unloaded and cruised through customs with the standard forms already filed out and ready to stamp.

After getting past the Tourista then we moved on to our shuttle. Standard van to the resort and the fun roads were traffic laws seem only optional. No way in heck you get me to drive on this island.

We arrived at Occidental resort and unloaded the luggage. Tipped the driver for the ride and thanked him. They pile the inbound luggage in front of the bell desk until the rooms are ready. This is the standard and your bags are safe. We walked in and saw Victor again and said hi and he gladly welcomed us back to the resort. Victor is always such a pleasure.

Tip- If you are a returning guest make sure to point this fact out!
Returning guests and time share owners get white bracelets. People on the property do not try to sell you things and you get better attention at the bar and restaurants. This was a definite improvement! Standard bracelet is green.

We were the building directly behind the timeshare and had a wonderful view of the ocean out of our window.

We all had bracelets and headed out; rooms would be ready shortly.
We grabbed our bathing suits, masks, fins, and headed to lunch. After eating and having a drink we headed to the beach. It was amazing the number of staff that we recognized from last year.

We went back some time later and checked in for our room. They provided the usual paperwork, lock for the safe, and credit card slide key. We had bell hops deliver the luggage. Being divers this was the best deal yet. We do not travel light, I tipped the bell man! Our room was right towards the front (beach,) behind the timeshare units. The room was spotless including a towel animal on the bed.

The food this year was better at the resort. We had Hamburgers and Hot dogs and they had out Ketchup, Mustard and Mayo this year. They have a total of three places to eat. One is the up front buffet (by the pool); the second is an outdoor place that was making pizzas and the indoor buffet upstairs indoors. The food is not bad but considering a majority of the visitors were American, Brits, Europeans and few others I am surprised that they did not have at least a Euro-American Sous chef. I am all for new and interesting tastes but a sprinkling of home is nice. This year also for breakfast they added bacon, eggs, and hash browns. All the food was very fresh and overall we were very pleased. Also large water bottles were placed in rooms ever morning, and water coolers were on site with bottled water.

The maid service was impeccable as always. One afternoon I watched another unit be cleaned and I was sincerely surprised how much they did. To include cleaning the bathroom, lavatory, sinks, brushing down the floor, then washing the floors (last thing they did on the way out.) Plus, they stripped the linins if requested, made folded animals and straighten the place. I have a new found appreciation of what goes on behind the scenes.

We did a little snorkeling and decided we needed to visit the dive shop and plan our diving. We did the ten tank special and added the few extra tanks we needed on top. Boats fill up fast so email ahead or plan early for the next couple of days.

Tip- Dive lockers are available for a $10.00 deposit. This way you leave your BC, regulator, and whatever can fit and it does not clutter up your room.
Most people left their towels, wetsuits, and neoprene items over their room rails to dry out. Nothing disappeared however we brought things in at night. A sub hanger might be a benefit for the shower at night.

Beach diving is free if you are diving with Palancar divers.
Tanks available were Al 60’s, 80’s and 100’s. Nitrox 32 is about $10.00 a tank extra.
I dove with my Bare shorty, stainless steel backplate (6lbs) and 14lbs loose weight with an al80 tank.

The dive sites were awesome!
First day we started with the bottom end of Palancar caves as they come out into the Garden. It was a very nice dive. My max depth was 97ft and total run time was over 45 minutes.
Most dives workout this way- 80ft for max depth and then they stair step you up to 40ft for a causal ascent. Shallower sites started at 60ft and worked up.

Once the boat was heading back I approached the advanced divers and asked if anyone was interested in Punta Sur? It was an immediate hit!
So we all went in as a group and inquired for Punta Sur. Since there was a prearranged group- no problem Punta Sur tomorrow.

pg 2

Punta Sur was incredible! We dropped in from the boat only to see a tongue of sand below us in between two large coral heads. The Coral heads on both sides and this long ribbon of sand dropping away; it was incredible sight (have camera- just too blown away to take darn the picture.)
The top of the sand was at 85ft were we all met up. From there we dropped into the chute single file. Dropping down the chute we saw lots of coral, sponges and little fish. Buoyancy had to be good and it required some skill to turn and move through the chute without hitting the ceiling or the sand floor. We popped out at 135ft!
Glanced at my dive computer- now this… is… diving… in warm, clear water, and lots of light. However, the NDL on my computer was clicking away; time to leave this splendid place. We cruised along the reef for a short distance and went into another hole and then back up through the coral chute. On the way up we spotted a small cross with a Jesus; a truly amazing site among the coral and sponges. We came back out at 85ft and to the rippling white sands. Did the usual stair step up, did a 5 minute hang at 15ft and then stepped up and a very slow ascent for the last 10 feet.

We dove in total, Palancar Caves, San Francisco reef, Horseshoe, La Francesa (the French lady and Santa Rosa.
All the sites were very good but La Francesa was too shallow and we ended up in an empty sand waste land cruising over the site in a mild current. We dropped into little channels but if you were not to careful you would be separated from the group. I was hoping for some larger pelagic life in this open area but no such luck.

The big surprise was the swim through at some sites. In the past swim through have been an occasional thing- on this trip we spent a lot more time in swim throughs. On one dive we spent a good 15 minutes cruising through opening and checking for crabs and other surprises- very nice dive.

Snorkeling from the beach-
This has to be one of my favorite things about this resort. The water does not get much than 15-20ft deep and that is way out at the end of the buoy markers.
Memorable highlights were- scorpion fish on a log at 8ft of water. Two reef squid hunting in and around the buoys. Small spotted ell in the ell grass. Banded shrimp, caribbean lobster, arrow crabs, and the occasional large ray sweeping in for fish scraps off the pier or through the shallows. This would be an awesome site for an Oxygen rebreather for photography- but that’s another kettle of fish.

No shows were the barracudas or any octopus which was surprising.
An unusual event was around sunset there was a large patch of florescent green algae on the bottom. It was fluorescing and about twenty blue fish (tangs) were just going crazy biting at it. It lasted about ten minutes. Very… interesting.

We had two occurrences of stings, both minor. Both stings just left light marking and itching, no problems. My family did not see what stung them instead they felt the sting and it was already over. One was on an exposed ankle and one on an exposed inside arm both snorkeling way out. Another good reason for a full length suit. I am thinking of investing in ½” mil full length Pinnacle suits for next year.

Dive Gear-
Disclaimer- I like Diverite… Ok, my obsession has been duly noted.
This was my first outing for my Diverite Regulator RG2500 and it ran like a champ. Diverite Trans harness worked well and no problems. Once I adjusted it never changed it again. New Stainless backplate was very comfy.
Camera was –Olympus Sp-350 and case was the Pt-030 worked great and U/W photos.
Underwater images were from 5ft to 135ft deep. Next year add on will be handle for the camera and a small Ikelite strobe.

Heather ran her standard gear- Mares BC, Diverite Duo computer (awesome computer) and Mares regulators. Quattro’s and spring heel fins. Just call her the Mares Lady.

Austin- the best dressed young diver on the boat.
Suunto air computer, Sherwood 1st stage with Dacor Eagle 2nd stages. Oceanic Chute BC and new Mares fins. I have to say that the Sherwood 1st stage is awesome at staying clean (interior.) Perhaps not the best Ansi results but always clean for service.
Hopefully for the next trip Austin will be off the junior dive cards. We get dinged for this every time on the first dive and then once they see him dive, then we are all good to go. Austin has a max depth (floor) and the divemaster are made aware of it.

One of the more memorable dive moments was a dive briefing in a rain storm. The new dive master was rambling on. We all looked at each other and then at him.
I spoke up- 85ft max, you will go slow, we will follow, let’s get in the water.
Everyone agreed and we all splashed in. Good dive.

The divemasters tend to do an excellent job of the profiles.
We underwater photographers seem like manic gerbils all over the place getting photos (myself included.) The only thing is that they often did 3 minute safety stops and I tend to like a minimum if five minutes safety stops. We were usually the last aboard- gee Wally why…

Will we be back next year- that is up for debate? Scuba Club has been calling my name and we will just have to see what’s in the cards when next year comes around. I would like to be around more divers. Non- divers think we’re a bit nuts but oh well.

Changes- I would like to see the price of Nitrox drop a little. I think that theirs a lot of profit margin at the moment with all the diving, 32% would have been excellent. Oxygen can be found a few places on the island if requested.

Questions- please feel free.
Andrew (one of the three amigos)

Pictures at album-
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=2532

Anyone using PB base, smugmug or Flicker for images?
I have 250 images in 5 days- I need to find an online home to process and post images.

Thanks, Andrew

I use flickr-seems foolproof and reasonably quick.

How do you like your SP-350?

Tim

Hey Andrew,

Yea, I wish Nitrox was a bit cheaper as well. I always do a 32 on the deep and a 36 on the shallow. With 6 days of diving, going in for two to four dives a day it ramps up in cost pretty quickly.

We're headed down to Coz August 14 for a week. Haven't been there since February. Really looking forward to the trip.

-Charles

The SP-350 has been very good.
It has its quirks but after using some really ancient cameras this has been very refreshing.
The display works very well. The controls are easy to manage, and it is very easy to handle with the u/w case. Most of my pictures were in “automatic u/w wide 1” scene. I had a hard time with setting the auto white balance and manual settings. It was not the dive or location just an issue with managing the scenes properly and my family also using the camera. As a result Photoshop has been a champ for cleanup of the images.
If anything the size of the images have been a surprise. I am used to working with considerably smaller images from an older 2Meg Cannon camera and these have been really big.

I did notice that you have to use the recommended battery (CRV-9), double AA’s are worthless. Also you notice that the batteries are starting to run low by the write time and then the low battery warning is really too late.

This was the best camera for the money in my mind (although I have a simple mind.)
I purchased the camera for $200.00 and the case was the same amount. Most dedicated system were twice as much and often not as good quality or image size (talking Sea and Sea or Reefmaster.) Or I had to pay three times as much for a real DSLR system and that does not include lens or case.

After this trip I really noticed a few things.
A gentleman on my diveboat had the same exact camera setup- so marking you items with your name or initials is to your benefit.
A tray with good grip would have helped and wide angle wet lens would be really nice.
Also the DS-51 Strobe from Ikelite looks like a winner with TTL or a slave sensor as an option.

In the end for traveling or family pictures (by the pool) or in a rain storm this camera has been a winner for me. I still have tons to learn. This has been my first Olympus and I am still getting used to the menus verses cannons menus.

The scubaboard u/w photo group has been a blessing…
Andrew

Hey! I just read a similar trip report in the Texas Swamp Divers forum. :D

Again nice report.

I just took your suggestion. :wink:

I really like your photos- very nice.
How are you shooting- manual with strobe?

Thanks for the kind words.
I am still processing images through Photoshop and looking at all my mistakes.
Way too many images and they are alot bigger than I am used to having.

Later, Andrew

driftin' by:
Hey! I just read a similar trip report in the Texas Swamp Divers forum. :D
Again nice report.

Crazyduck:
I just took your suggestion.
I really like your photos- very nice.
How are you shooting- manual with strobe?

Naw, I was like, "Two Allegro reviews in 2 days!" I didn't realize it was the same one until paragraph 5.

Thanks. Those were my first attempt with digital UW from June 06. I have a Canon A95 in WD-50 housing without strobe. Surprisingly, most were taken with in UW mode and I fixed them up with photoshop.

I still have a couple hundred photos I took in May I need to work on and get posted. My goal is to get them done before my next trip in September.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom