Trip Report: Nekton Pilot Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaven, as far as shark sightings and interacting with sharks are concerned which of the two legs of your trip was better for a shark enthusiast.

Thanks

Chris

Cay Sal by FAR!!! :D

We felt that Cay Sal had a lot more variety than the NW Bahamas. Cay Sal had holes (walls), sharks, drift diving, reefs, swim thrus, a shallow lagoon, a plane wreck, and shallow reefs. NW Bahamas had 1 intact wreck, 2 "flat" wrecks, a dolphin snorkel, and reefs.

We'd go back and do Cay Sal again in a heartbeat, but NW Bahamas would have to be on sale. :wink:

Great trip report! I can share your excitement about the hammerhead. My husband and I were diving in Key largo when a hammerhead about 8 feet long swam by us about 12 feet in front of us and about 10 feet above us. It was awesome! I had a camera that was charged and ready to go but I was in awe and also didn't want to draw attention to myself. Another guy from our boat saw it also or else they wouldn't have believed us.

I just booked the Cay Sal trip for October after reading a lot of the NW Bahamas vs. Cay Sal discussion. I'm glad to see your opinion of Cay Sal. I like sharks and it seemed to be the better itinerary for that. Hopefully something other than Caribbean Reef Sharks might pass by. IF not, that's OK too. I wanted to do Socorro islands, Cocos, or Galapagos because of the many different types of sharks, but thought for a first liveaboard trip, I might just try Nekton to the Bahamas right out of Ft Lauderdale first, then work my way up to one of the others.

Super report Dive-Maven. I've also done the Nekton Belize and the NW Bahamas trips (but not the Cay Sal Banks trip) and never fail to be impressed by how well this entire dive operation runs.

Next stop for us is Totola in December, where we'll do some diving with traditional shore-based dive ops. I have to tell you that doing a liveaboard really spoils you!

Next stop for us is Totola in December, where we'll do some diving with traditional shore-based dive ops. I have to tell you that doing a liveaboard really spoils you![/QUOTE]

Tortola!!!

We loved Tortola when we were there, and diving the Rhone was really cool, especially considering she's like 150 years old! We did our diving with UBS and thought that Kate and Tony (owners) ran a really good operation.

Thanks for a wonderful log. We are headed to Cay Sal on the Nekton Sept 8th. We are looking forward to all of the wonderful dives you described.
Larry & Sue

Back
Top Bottom