Trip Report: Montego Bay (Captain's Watersports), May 15-16, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went through the trouble to write this for my club newsletter last month. Might as well post it here on Scubaboard as well:

In early 2010, when friends invited my wife and me to join them on a mid-May trip to Montego Bay, Jamaica, my thoughts naturally turned immediately to the diving opportunities. A little online research told me that Jamaica is widely considered to be mediocre diving at best due to overfishing and a general lack of conservation on the reefs surrounding the island. Furthermore, it seemed to be the general consensus that if you are going to dive Jamaica, you must dive Negril. Nevertheless, I packed my gear and made reservations for two days of diving Montego Bay with Captain’s Watersports, the in-house dive service at Round Hill Hotel & Villas. Captain’s is the operator for about a half dozen resorts in the MoBay Area.

At Round Hill, I met Divemaster Julie Ann at the hotel dock where the staff was loading AL80s onto the 23 ft. center console dive boat. On both days, aside from Julie Ann, I was the only diver on board. Now that’s personalized service!

On Day 1, Captain Moon took us southeast of the hotel toward the airport on a short (10 minute) trip to the first dive site, Spanish Anchor. This site actually consists of two large anchors standing upright on the reef, separated by a great multilevel coral playground (we reached 82' before the natural light became unuseable and I asked Julie Ann to ascend a bit) . The coral formations, in fact, are one of the features that Jamaica's dive industry is rather proud of. They have a large and complex growth of soft and hard coral with deep canyons and fun swimthroughs.

And due to the establishment and maintenance of a marine park all around the Montego Bay area, the fish population was much better than I'd been led to believe. Blue Chromis were everywhere, along with a decent number of blue tangs, sergeant majors, squirrelfish and various species of wrasse, grunts and angelfish. Here and there I would see a trumpetfish running for cover, along with some of the biggest pufferfish I ever saw.

The second site that day, Classroom, brought more of the same – and a pair of squid too – on a pleasant 43 ft. reef dive.

On Day 2, Captain Hercules took Julie Ann and me northwest of the hotel near the famous Tryall Golf Club. The first site was Chub Reef, with its large namesake fish, the Bermuda chub. These big guys were out in abundance, more so because Julie Ann brought them some treats. Feeding fish on a dive is frowned on by many, but in any case they were all over us as a result. We stayed up around 60 feet with the bottom visible down the wall at around 100' (I resisted the urge at one point to pursue a southern stingray I saw down on the sand).

The second dive of the day, Tryall Reef, was a another nice shallow (36') dive with abundant natural light and good small critter opportunities, from what I could tell. I'm still no good at spotting macro life unless someone literally points it out to me, which Julie Ann did with the occasional cleaner shrimp here and there.

With the exception of the the Spanish Anchor mooring for the entry, all other entries and exits were live boat drops and pickups. Julie Ann towed a float on Chub Reef and shot an SMB at the end of the other three dives. The water temperature was a cozy 84 degrees Fahrenheit on all dives and the visibility was 100 ft. or better on all but one dive. As to lionfish sightings, I saw only one and that was at Spanish Anchor.

I also should mention that the house reef at Round Hill offered excellent snorkeling opportunities, with many of the same coral and fish varieties in only 10' or less of water, along with a few very active yellow stingrays. I spent the rest of the trip on this reef with my face in the water when I wasn't at the bar or gorging myself at the resort's restaurant.

Here is a short video of my Montego Bay diving experience:

[vimeo]12388491[/vimeo]​

thnx for the report

Thanks for the great info. My wife is pushing for a Mo Bay trip in December. Looks great!

Where else have you dived and what would you compare it to?

Where else have you dived and what would you compare it to?

In terms of the type of sea life and coral, I'd say it was similar to what I saw in Bonaire but with much less fish activity. The dive operation itself was run like what you'd find at a Mexican resort where they get mostly vacation divers.

I am diving there with Capitan's next week week with my wife for three days. What would you say was your favorite site? Also, do they have planned sites for each day or can you specify specific locations. Thanks for the info and good post.

Spanish Anchor was probably the best, but I liked them all. They did not seem to be all that open to suggestion, but would vary the sites over multiple days to keep it interesting for you. Also not open to going far from the hotel, like to Widowmaker Cave. But a lot of fun regardless ... enjoy it!

"They did not seem to be all that open to suggestion."

This is an understatement. The dive master--an older Indian looking guy--did whatever he wanted without even responding to my very specific requests. They charged my hosts almost 4 times what it would cost in Asia. Then they tried to extort more money out of me--I refused and they dropped the demand.

The equipment was almost new and fancy and the boat was top notch but the guide was disinterested, ignored my preferences, forced us to surface well before our air ran out, and so forth. It made me so mad I was determined to post this.

The diving --from what I saw in the one dive which was unnecessarily cut short--was fine---pretty water, coral, a small number of tropical fish, nothing exceptional but bright blue/green colored water, which I like a lot. But it is not a place for hard core divers.

I enjoyed the diving but came away very angry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom