Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's definitely what I prefer! But for some reason dive operations insist on taking divers out, swimming like crazy against the current, and then either finding none (in four trips to Magic Mountain, Misool, there was one far away) or being among 40 other divers, tied into the reef, rolling around in the coral. I know that mantas are bucket list items, but give me a nudibranch anytime!

Magic Mountain is not the good place to have Oceanic Manta to come to you. You’ll be lucky to see one there. I was there 4 times & only saw one in 2 out of 4 visits.

The best place to see these giant mantas is in Socorro, Mexico. I saw 1-4 of them in most of the dive sites there. They like diver bubbles & will swim by over you to get the bubbles. May be the bubbles help to get rid of some of the bugs out of their skin. I put together some of the video clips about this when I was there last December, as shown below.

I really don't need/want to see mantas. I was commenting on the need of other divers to do so and dive operations to accommodate them. I've seen enough mantas over the years. I just hate manta dives.

Let them come to you :D
They do sometimes but not always!
Looking for them are really pathetic. Swiming from one cleaning station to another and ignoring everything en-route.

Magic Mountain is not the good place to have Oceanic Manta to come to you
I've dived Magic mountain 9 times over 2 trips. Not once have I not seen Oceanics there. Although last trip was "out of season" for manta's we still had Oceanics - although not as many as we'd had "In season"

On one dive last week we had 2 Oceanics and 9 Reef manta's on MM - So yeah pretty poor site!

I'll put up a more comprehensive trip report later..

Some highlights in response to @Laval original post

To get to the resort is quite a challenge. First you would have to get to Sorong (i.e. via Hong Kong and Jakarta). Then, from Sorong it will take about 4.5 hrs by a speed boat. Good news is that they have their own speed boat now, which I assume would provide a more comfortable ride.

This unfortunately is the price you pay for such a remote destination and there's no way around it. Our boat trip was 4 hrs in heavy seas on the way to the island and 3.5 on the return.

They will meet you at the airport (at 6:30 am in our case), bring you to their office in Sorong, give you a bottle of water, and you will watch a TV for an hour or two. No food..., and you could not buy anything from them if you do not have local currency.

We were all served Breakfast - no comment on paying by card as we carried USD and local currency for such eventualities - We were taken to the boat for 9am so the "wait didn't seem excessive bearing in mind you got fed, had coffee and a stretch.

For food, however, I would give them 3 stars only. In general, we do not like Indonesian food, but other guests were complaining about food as well. Also, my wife and at least one other guest were severely poisoned by tuna. At the same time, we like their fruits, juices and teas.

I'm not a great fan of Indo food, but I felt there was sufficient choice to get me through. I preferred big breakfasts, but personal choice. No food illnesses while we were there, apart from the usual upsets from travel/change of diet.

The last day of the stay is actually a 'write-off', because you have to vacate your cottage after breakfast and sit on your luggage half a day waiting for a new group to arrive. Then they bring you to Sorong by the end of the day, where you have to stay overnight.

Not sure how this can differ from anywhere else on the travel day. You get a relaxed morning where you pack your cloths after breakfast and your dive kit when dry. I think I had 2 hrs with a book which after my full on dive schedule was quite welcome. We were on the boat back for 1:30 and checked into the hotel in Sorong for 5:30pm

Maybe you can do a dive or two in the morning after you have checked out ?

No not really, you need to dry and pack your kit, plus all the staff are busy doing the turn around. Some people did a snorkel but I didn't feel the need. You will appreciate, when you arrive that the resort is ready to go, we literally changed got out gear onto the boat and were diving 2 hrs after arrival (some people sleep)

I did go with some trepidation given or last trip was so good, and I wondered if I'd feel disappointed this time. Not so. While we had a couple of "mediocre dives" (the fish life doesn't run to schedule) generally we had fantastic diving, and got to sites we hadn't dived last time.

The LOB's do spend a lot of time in Misool, and it should be noted that the sites they dive is dictated by MER while they're in the protected zone. MER get first choice on the sites, then the LOB's check in at 5pm and pick up the remaining allocations.

I had a manta lay on me at Magic Mountain. Thrilling but weird. Obviously I was in the wrong position on that dive which was odd as it was the same spot that had been ideal on the previous dive.

I've seen lots of mantas now and won't chase them either. Why chase them when there are places that they come to and we can go there and see them.

All we need to do as divers is be respectful of why they have chosen that site and try to stay out of their way, so they don't have to lay on you.

Dan_T, we had the opposite experience. One manta in Socorro (lots of whale encounters though!!!) and 4 mantas at Magic Mountain circling us for an hour. Funny, though I remember the dive for the mantas, my wife spent that hour seeing the mantas but mostly playing hide and seek with a big octopus. Every time she waived me over to see it, the octopus shot back in its hole. As soon as I left, back up and showing off for my wife. I got jealous. :wink: So, while I'll remember the mantas and a brief glimpse of the octopus, she will forever remember having a blast with that octopus. As to chasing anything underwater, just not a good thing to do.

Rob

I had a manta lay on me at Magic Mountain. Thrilling but weird. Obviously I was in the wrong position on that dive which was odd as it was the same spot that had been ideal on the previous dive.

I've seen lots of mantas now and won't chase them either. Why chase them when there are places that they come to and we can go there and see them.

All we need to do as divers is be respectful of why they have chosen that site and try to stay out of their way, so they don't have to lay on you.
We have had this happen as well... quite a funny experience!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom