Trip Report: Mike's Dauin Dive Resort, March 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlMitch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Strap in for a family & fun filled adventure!!

If you have read any of my previous trip reports you will know that the wife and I are no longer the "typical diving couple", we now have two small energetic boys (aged 2 & 5) coming along for the ride. For this trip we flew Granny in to tag along for the fun and games.

Due to the kids we have a fairly strict list of requirements for a resort, and after scouring many a trip report/ TripAdvisor review/ resort website etc I landed on Mike's.
It basically ticked all my boxes.
1) would allow us to do one dive in the morning & one in the arvy
2) has AC
3) sheltered place to swim in the sea (for the kids)
4) not too expensive
5) has a beach
6) not too difficult to get to *
7) Good communication

To get to Mike's from Singapore you have to fly via Manila then another hop to Dumaguette on Negros Island, on the return we flew from Duma to Cebu, then Cebu to Sing. We flew with Cebu Pacific, they had the best times for the connecting flights. And even though I was worried about flying budget, I have to give credit where it is due, the flights were all on time and pretty much hassle free.

The boss at Mike's is Corri and she runs a very happy and helpful team. I bugged the heck out of her with my many many emails and she was always prompt, cordial and helpful with her replies. I'm pretty sure that when I told her about my kids being gluten & dairy free, she must have wanted to cancel my booking!! :wink:

Mike's is a very pretty little resort. You enter through the gates and greeted by a pocket of paradise. The natural looking buildings, the swaying leafy trees and palms, the sparkling swimming pool (with waterfall), the green grass and then you see the beach and finally the sea.

26463782007_bc8906bd80_b.jpg
Mikes Resort by Angmo Al, on Flickr']
26463782007_bc8906bd80_b.jpg
Mikes Resort by Angmo Al, on Flickr[/URL]

The rooms are clean and decently sized, but here lies my only criticisms of the resort, the beds are hard (fairly thin mattresses), and both the fan and AC units are very noisy. This was the case for both of the rooms we had. Oh the only other thing that I thought was missing was a dedicated camera room. The tiny table in the room is not really adequate and I ended up setting up my camera on a towel on the floor.

The food at the restaurant did take a little while BUT it was always very tasty and the portions huge. The kitchen staff did a great job altering their recipes to accommodate our boys diet. We really appreciated that. This optimized their helpful attitude. Nothing was too much trouble.
They even built our boys an amazing swing right on the beach. I nearly got tennis elbow from pushing them so much!! I swear they spent at least 2-3 hours a day on that swing!!

Ok so we came here to go diving. The missus and I are AVID muck divers! We loves dem critters!! We've been to Lembeh (multiple times), and Aniloa and I did not expected Dauin to live up to that level of muckiness, BUT on the whole the critter count was not too bad, and I was actually pleasantly surprised at the quality of the diving. Critters included: many frogfish, including the worlds smallest one!! A fair number of nudis, an assortment of shrimps, TONS of ghost pipefish, specifically ornate and robust, flamboyant cuttlefish, a few seahorses and lots of interesting anemone's with their matching anemone fish. There were zero octopus, which was a tad odd, but apparently they are very seasonal.

41069519042_9315438cc1_b.jpg
Tiny froggy by Angmo Al, on Flickr
That is my wife's baby finger in the background!

40380816734_73bf0f4ee2_b.jpg
_DSC0836 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

40380702164_2932240448_b.jpg
_DSC0933 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

41112830561_cd1a2741a7_b.jpg
_DSC1333 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

I got a head cold half way through the trip and this put a huge dampener on the holiday and the diving. So I only got 8 dives in, which was unfortunate.
Mike's has two big, comfortable Bangka's, and they were very flexible in where we wanted to dive. At most there was 4 of us with a guide, but often less. The guides are great spotters.
Typically they do a double tank trip in the morning, but most of the dives are 10-15min from the resort, so they brought us back to the resort after the first dive.

40218274025_a6d85293af_z.jpg
_DSC1510 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

We did not do the Apo Island dive trip!! SHOCK HORROR I know. But it was a full day trip and we didn't want to leave gran alone with the boys the whole day! BUT we did take a public boat across to snorkel with the turtles. It was such a great day and both boys got to see the turtles. The eldest had an absolute BLAST swimming right next to a big greenbacked turtle that was basically bigger than he was. The turtles are so used to people they would just flat ignore you.

41112837861_b72c810cb5_b.jpg
_DSC1428 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

40218252315_bb0d36ba74_b.jpg
_DSC1448 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

The wife was DESPERATE to go see the whalesharks at Oslob, so after chatting with Corri she made a plan for us. She organised a van to take us all the way to Oslob, which entails a 45 mon drive to the ferry port in Duma, then a 20 min ferry trip across to Cebu Island then finally a 30min drive to Oslob.
YES Oslob is a complete zoo! But once you put your head below the water and literally come face to face with a massive whaleshark it is all A-OK and totally worth it. It was mezmerising for me, my wife, my 65 year old mom, and my 5 year old was smiling from ear to ear!! Heck even the 2 year old was shouting "ALE-ARK!!"
The way they spread all the tourists out means that you actually have clear water in front of you and there is no one else in your field of view. I could have spent hours with the majestic creatures.

40402280704_781d6bd099_b.jpg
_DSC1063 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

40402277494_ee6278cf15_b.jpg
_DSC1048 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

In the end we had a great week at Mike's, and I definitely would recommend the resort whole heatedly.

For the rest of the photo's check out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/angmo-al/albums/72157693239909581

40621173494_b714f817c3_b.jpg
Mikes - sunset by Angmo Al, on Flickr

Yes indeed, Mike's is a nice little resort in Dauin, the main problem is that it's so charming and small that they are too often completely booked.

I knew you would enjoy your time at Mike's--I'm glad you did ( I did find the beds a tad hard too). I'm just the opposite of you and the miss's---not much of a muck fan but love Apo Island. I many have to reconsider a trip to Oslob--I've always considered it more of a petting zoo than a real life adventure even though I would really love to see the whale sharks. I'll be back at Mike's this coming December and will see if they have enough people to make the trip to Oslob on their boat. Nice pics by the way---I just bought a micro lens for my camera so I'll try to put it to good use in Dauin next visit and maybe become more of a true "muck" diver lol. Thanks for the great review.

thanks your for sharing such a nice trip review and wonderful photos.

@Luko - Yes it is a serious "problem" that they have!! :wink:

@bshort4 thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement! But those beds really bugged me in the end, they were also quite squeaky/ noisy....so I must say I did not have the most restful of nights sleep. It really is my only real criticism.
As for Oslob, if you cant organise a boat load to go across (there was one planned while we were there BUT the wind was pretty strong so Corri vetoed it) I would still suggest it would be worth while even taking the van across like we did. Seriously once your head dips below the surface and the whale shark comes calmly swimming by your mind is blown away! We would do it again if we went back. Also pay for a full hour! The "Normal" is only 30min!!!

@iamrushman thanks, glad you enjoyed the read!

Thanks for sharing , great report and wonderful pictures. How do you think it compares with Anilao ?

Best fishes

Yes indeed, Mike's is a nice little resort in Dauin, the main problem is that it's so charming and small that they are too often completely booked.
The last two years that I tried to book Mikes Beach Resort using a third person site like TripAdvisor or Agoda I found there was no availability for my dates. I contacted the resort and found out they block out certain dates from these sites and only take reservations directly. It seems they were having problems especially around the holidays (Christmas time etc.) with people wanting to book just a single night just to have a place to party for one night and do no diving. That reeked havoc with people trying to book longer stays during this time to do some diving. I contacted them direct and booked my week with them both years in December when other sites were showing them all booked up.

@bshort4 I asked Corri about their booking policy and she was quite open that she typically will only accept bookings from divers. So it was touch and go whether she was going to accept my booking, because we were taking two rooms, one for the gran and boys (no divers), and one room for the wife and I (divers). But she did.

As a general rule I prefer booking directly with the resorts. I have way too many questions for them anyways. And the way they respond gives me a fair idea of how good your stay will be.

As for Muck diving!!

41046925062_288f0c65fa_b.jpg
_DSC0837 by Angmo Al, on Flickr

Muck diving really is an incredible treasure hunt! Looking for tiny jewels in the muckiness.

@Tippytoes12 Honestly the critter count at Dauin was better than our trip to Aniloa!! Our trip to Aniloa was a few months after a big hurricane and all the guides and other repeat guests were all saying the critter count was abnormally low. SO it probably is not a fair comparison.

We enjoyed Buceo Anilao, but Mike's was definitely a prettier resort. And you don't have to climb a million steps everyday! :wink:

Lembeh definitely beats the pants off of both Anilao and Dauin (granted this is after only 1 trip to Dauin & Aniloa).
BUT I would definitely consider going back to both Aniloa and Dauin. Both are fairly good bang for your buck.

Lembeh definitely beats the pants off of both Anilao and Dauin (granted this is after only 1 trip to Dauin & Aniloa).
I'd agree that Lembeh is better than Dauin, however you should dive Anilao on the right conditions with a good guide and maybe your opinion would change. That said there is definitely a problem with Anilao resorts, it's not a place for kids, nt enough grounds (may be overpriced Aiyanar would fit)..

Also about Mike's availabilities I am a bit picky about the choice of rooms, I ask for his first floor "bow" room having its own terrace with a sofa looking to the sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom