Trip Report – Malapascua, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEERLKAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trip Report – Malapascua, Philippines

Location: Malapascua Island is just off the northern tip of Cebu, Island.

Dates: 23 – 29 Jan 05

Total Number of Dives: 20

Dive Shop: Thresher Shark Divers. Highly recommended.

Web Site: http://www.malapascua-diving.com/

Accommodations: We stayed in a room above the dive shop. No shortage of resorts on the island, Thresher Shark Divers (or whomever you dive with) should be able to hook you up with a room. Expect to pay 10-35USD per night per room.

Water Temp: 25c

Visibility: 10-20m

Type of diving: All dives were from a boat – all dive operators on Malapascua dive off the traditional Philippine boat called a “banca” – basically a glorified canoe (although to be fair – they can be up to fifty foot long with a 6cyl diesel engine) with bamboo outriggers for stability. We didn’t do any night dives, although they were offered. None of the dives had anything more than moderate current. We did one wreck dive (The Dona Marilyn) – no penetration.

Favorite Dives: Lapus Lapus – Incredible soft coral for as far as you can see. Sponges covered with worms.
Gato Island/The Tunnel – Great swim-thru, huge puffer fish, White Tip Sharks, Banded Sea snakes, Crabs, Scorpionfish and so much more
Thresher Shark Dive/Shark Point/Monad Shoal – the “signature” dive of Malapascua. Incredible creatures.
Nunez – Spectacular Wall Dive

Things we liked about Malapascua: The dive shop was excellent – small groups, very accommodating and excellent value. Everyone on the island was super friendly. The soft corals around Malapascua will blow you away. The Thresher sharks were as great as we thought they would be. Gato Island is an amazing place – there is at least three dives there – all excellent but the tunnel was fantastic (we did it twice)! Macro critters – Pygmy seahorses, tons of nudibranchs.

Things we didn’t like: Visibility was a little disappointing. Water was colder than expected. Lack of reef fish. Dynamite fishing – we were told it was miles away, and yes, sound travels well underwater, but when you FEEL the concussion from the dynamite – it’s a little freaky.

Travel tips: Malapascua is definitely a place where you can “just show up” (except maybe around holidays), so don’t sweat it. Do bring lots of pesos – credit cards (and sometimes even travelers checks) will have fees associated with them – up to 6%. Also changing USD to pesos is sometimes difficult and expect to get about 5% less than the actual exchange rate.

Nice pic & info, please check out my post : http://www.scubaboard.com/t85095-.html
need more info regarding money wise, transport from & to, where to stay accomodation, specially in Cebu. what to do & don't, which operator should I use, do i have to walk in or make advance booking ?? etc....

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for that, it's encouraging for me as I'm going there next month. I hope.

Back
Top Bottom