Trip report. Long! Boring details!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is public, urban, bus & colectivo-van transportation. All routes begin and end at Chedraui. The destinations are marked on the windows of the vehicles. There are no buses on Melgar, to the southern & northern hotel zones, or on Ave. 5 in Centro.

Thanks for posting the additional info. Why do you think the buses don't run a hotel zone route?

Thanks for the report. I know now that I will skip the 3mm and bring my 5/3.

It's such an individual thing, but I decided to take the 8/6 when I realized that the current water temp in Coz was only 3 degrees warmer than the warmest it gets in my local lake in summer. And I never dive in anything thinner than an 8/6 locally.

I love your report complete with pictures. Good job!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Great report and I liked your pics. I always wondered if a gringo could get on the collectivo buses. I figured the taxi drivers wouldn't allow it. I am sure that is why they dont run to the hotels.

I have to look for the luggage drop off at the ferry. I have yet to see that. I am quite sure they schedule the buses so you can rush to the dock and watch the ferry depart. Happens to me EVERYTIME..... I do like the travel details. What did you negotiate as a rate with the bicycle guy?

Great trip report! I appreciate your insights and share some of your feelings comparing the boutiques to SCC, both have their pros and cons! Thanks for sharing

Thanks for posting the additional info. Why do you think the buses don't run a hotel zone route?

Because the very powerful taxi unions won't allow it. Many here would love to have island-wide bus transportation -- even if it ran infrequently during the day. Cancun runs buses in its hotel zone and the taxis can compete because fares there are pretty reasonable. The taxi fares here are very high and the union aims to keep 'em that way.

I always wondered if a gringo could get on the collectivo buses...
I have to look for the luggage drop off at the ferry. I have yet to see that...... What did you negotiate as a rate with the bicycle guy?

Wow! Of course gringos can use the buses! You can catch the bus on Ave. 15 & 10 and ride to Ched.; return on Ave. 10 and the bus driver drops you at your gate.

On the Playa side, the triciclero may leave your luggage in the secure area of the pier, whether or not a ferry is docked there. Passengers are supposed to stand behind the rope in the waiting area. It's a good idea to keep an eye on your stuff, tho. There are no rates for tricicleros. Solo propina - they work for tips only and will carry as much as the bike holds, which is quite a lot.

January 4 - 14, 2011

Travel
I discovered during this trip that Coz may not be the best dive location for me. While there are many things about diving Coz that I enjoy - the swim throughs, the large dramatic coral formations - what I really love to do is take my time and hover in one place and observe the fish or other life on the reef. Drift diving doesn't usually allow for hanging out long in one spot, if at all.

Did you dive Colombia Shallows? I try to make it there a couple of times on every trip (on a two week trip a few years ago we went there 5 times!). There is usually little to no current there and it's shallow - 30' max - and some of the coral heads get to within 10' of the surface. I take a magnifying glass with me and go into macro mode, looking for tiny creatures.

We did Columibia Shallows again in December and love that site. Long shallow dive to just poke around and take in all the detail stuff. Good suggestion.

Just got back from diving today and we did Columbia Shallows for our second dive. Everyone was cold after an hour and 40 minutes. It would have been a longer dive had the sun been out, I'm sure. Well, that and if there hadn't been an important football game this afternoon.

I got a good shot (I think, haven't checked yet) of a pygmy filefish. No current but vis was a bit stirred up. Am drinking a hot buttered rum as I type this trying to warm up...

Drift diving doesn't usually allow for hanging out long in one spot, if at all. I like Mexico - it's in my budget, it's not a long flight, and I get to practice my Spanish - and I like diving off a boat, so I'll look into the diving from the mainland. Suggestions much appreciated! 

If you're tired, don't be embarrassed to sit out a dive or go over the top of the coral instead of through the swim throughs. If you're tired and don't do the swim throughs early in the week, don't be surprised if the dive guide thinks you don't like swim throughs and is surprised later in the week when you want to go to Palancar Caves.
Glad you guys had fun. sounds like a really good trip.

I have been across the channel once. We went to see the turtles. The current was the same as Coz, but maybe someone else that is more familiar with it would know if there is normally less current over there.
I have been looking at Isla Mujeres. That looks like it might be a nice spot to go. From what I read the sea life is as good or better than Coz. I don't know if it's drift or not. They say the diving is good, but not what kind of diving it is. Maybe someone can help.

Did you bring your "puny" with you? I think that would be nice to have if you were separating from the group or did you have a buddy with you when you went over the top of the swim throughs?

"I'm not young", "I'm not very strong", "if you're tired and don't do the swim throughs", "help me". You can't fool me. Anyone that dives in Skaneateles when you can't get down the access road because there's two feet of snow on it is tough as nails!! You won't see me in the water until at least May.:cold: I'm a wimp. I enjoyed reading your trip report.

I have been across the channel once. We went to see the turtles. The current was the same as Coz, but maybe someone else that is more familiar with it would know if there is normally less current over there.

I've probably dived across the channel 20 or 30 times. Maybe more. The current at Tortugas tends to be a bit more than what I experience (on average) in Cozumel. The exception are those sites that generally haved strong current like in the north, Tormentos etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom