Trip Report - Isla Mujeres October 2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

htatton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just a quick report on a wonderful week spent diving with Casa del Buceo on Isla Mujeres. I'm 72 years old and need a little extra assistance but I was really well taken care of. Conditions were wonderful. I made a video of 4 different dive sites we visited. Manchones Reef, MUSA Underwater Museum, El Baraquito Wreck Site, C-55 wreck site. It will answer your questions about conditions and dives to be found around Isla Mujeres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNfUYJXpoVU Long Version 14 Minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoVUoH6OLbU Short Version 5 Minutes

Enjoy

I've been going to Cozumel for 25 years now, at least once, often two or three times a year. Yet I have never tried the diving off Cancun or Isla Mujeres. Indeed, my ONLY experience at Isla Mujeres was one short stop there at a beach after a Whale Shark excursion. Hard to tell from the video, but it looked like there was almost zero in the way of current, and the dives were fairly shallow - no deeper than 35-40 feet. Am I right? BTW, the video quality was excellent - were you using a red filter, or did you do color correction post-production? And I enjoyed the music, I'm a fan of Beethoven's 9th.

The reef dives were 30-35 feet. Almost NO current. On windy days there is a little surge but on this trip even that was minimal. The C55 wreck is at 75 ft and has a history of currents however there was almost none on the day we visited. I used the flip 3.1 red 20-50 ft deep filter. GoPro Silver. Thanks for your comment.

I love Isla Mujeres, Life at the speed of a golf cart. It is my favorite vacation spot. Bonaire is my favorite diving so far.

I've been going to Cozumel for 25 years now, at least once, often two or three times a year. Yet I have never tried the diving off Cancun or Isla Mujeres. Indeed, my ONLY experience at Isla Mujeres was one short stop there at a beach after a Whale Shark excursion. Hard to tell from the video, but it looked like there was almost zero in the way of current, and the dives were fairly shallow - no deeper than 35-40 feet. Am I right? BTW, the video quality was excellent - were you using a red filter, or did you do color correction post-production? And I enjoyed the music, I'm a fan of Beethoven's 9th.

Dives are typically shallow with little current, however there are dives with current, especially punta sur at the bottom tip of the island has a ripping current usually. The c-55 gunboat dive closer to cancun can have a ripping current in the winter time which attracts the spotted eagle rays to it. Also some dives that are dived as drift dives between Cancun and Isla . But for the most part most of the diving around that area is shallow and beginner friendly.

Are there any shore dive sites or shore snorkeling sites on Isla Mujeres? I'll be there this weekend but most everyone is saying harbormaster will close port due to high winds... :(

Back
Top Bottom