Trip Report Trip Report: Galapagos Islands September 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was onboard the Humboldt 4-11 Sept 2017 and we had numerous whale shark encounters, however, back on land, I was hearing from other liveaboards we had seen in the north, they had none. Last time I was there was the same week in Sept a couple years ago. Again, no sightings reported for some time nor after our trip. Guides dropping in at the right spot can make a difference. William Astudillo on the Humboldt is my favorite dive guide working in Galapagos.

This was a really fun moment William captured on film. Thought I had, but my battery went dead. We had a naked diver doing his 100th on this dive, but it was a bull sea lion body slamming a Galapagos shark that stole the show. Off screen and behind us is a rookery with many juvenile sea lions. 3 days later, from a panga, I saw a Galapagos shark in the same location. Either they've had some luck or, like my dog who still believes she can jump up a tree in pursuit of a squirrel, they don't have it in them to give up.

Thank you both for your video and your trip report! I’m going in May. I hope my legs is up to the challenge with the currents coming off a leg injury 5 months ago.
I’m doing the Humbolt liveaboard and land base tours. The dive shop in Indiana is putting the trip together. I’m looking forward to diving in that world.

Should be fabulous and we wish you a great trip. The Humboldt Explorer is great. Please get back to us afterwards and let us know how it all went. Safe travels. Dom

Back
Top Bottom