Trip report: French Polynesia April 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For anyone else planning a visit to French Polynesia from Europe, there's another airline - FrenchBee - doing the Paris Orly-Papeete run (fuel stop in SFO), which can save you a fortune.

As they're a low cost carrier they don't always come up on the comparison sites, so it's worth checking out their website as well as the usual consolidators to make sure you're getting the best deal - https://www.frenchbee.com/

If you book early the price difference can be significant, enough to make it well worth getting a connecting flight to Paris, for those based elsewhere in Europe.

Hi Fairy, I was wondering how close the sharks and dolphins got? I am debating how much photo gear to bring given the Air Tahiti weight limit, and if the sharks don't get very close I may leave my strobes at home to save a few kg.
Thanks!

Well that depended on the dive to be honest. Some spots very close, but often it’s just the sheer number of sharks which is impressive.

Don’t forget you could be diving in some very strong currents, which may make handling a big camera more difficult. I didn’t see anyone diving with big strobes while I was there.

Yes that's the other thing I was thinking of, if I leave the strobes at home it's a much smaller package overall and if I really need to free both hands to pull myself against a strong current the camera will be much easier to handle. Plus I get to leave all the arms/clamps/floats/batteries+charger at home too which adds up to quite a bit.

Was there a lot to see at depth (>20m), close up (<2m) other than the sharks? I think I can get away with using a red filter for above 20m. And if stuff to see in the 20-30m range is primarily the wall of sharks which will be too far to light with strobes anyway then there's no point in bringing them. Were the dolphins and larges schools of fish deep or on the shallower side?

That would be the biggest "complaint" I hear about the Tuomotos....''not good for photographers". While there's some amazing Tuomotos footage and shots but zooming around in a pass and a nice current where you may see shallow things but there are deep things to see too requires....patience ..so I hear.

Look, we dived walls at 20 m and saw plenty of fish, corals etc. We did that when we couldn’t get into the passes, or when irritatingly we were attached to a group of day trippers off a cruise who the dive shop wouldnt let do a pass dive.

It basically depends how many times you end up doing that whether it’s worth taking strobes. And that you will not know til you are there. So, sorry but I can’t help you with that decision as I dive with a go pro! Hope you have a great trip though!

Back
Top Bottom