Trip Report - Eleuthera, Bahamas with Ocean Fox Cotton Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvankirk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from a couple of weeks in the Bahamas and managed to get a couple of days of diving in. Eleuthera is a beautiful island. I wasn't expecting much going into the trip as far as diving is concerned, but was pleasantly surprised by how much the island had to offer. We stayed in Governor's Harbour which is around the center of the island. For diving, we had to either go to the north or south end of the island. We chose south with Ocean Fox Cotton Bay. He a great time with Al and divemaster Daryl. Even though we only had two paying divers, they still took us out.

The first day we did Rich's Canyon and Blackbeard's Treasure Hole. The first was a blowing hole and the second had a couple of nice swim-throughs to about 96' feet. Water temperature was a pleasant 83 degrees and the ocean was calm at less than a foot.

The next day we did a nice wall dive at xmas tree wall to 105'. It was a beautiful climb back up the wall to around 60' where sharks filled the area. Our second dive was around xmas tree reef where the sharks were still circling and an abundance of marine life around the reef (lots of snapper, grouper, a couple of barracuda, and two lionfish I found hiding under a ledge).

Overall, four great dives. Can't wait to get back. Here's a link to a gopro video I put together from the xmas tree wall dive.

[video=youtube;m1dy1XP0Tis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dy1XP0Tis&feature=g-upl[/video]

Thanks for the report! There were some comments on other threads about reef decline around Eleuthera which is concerning. It's our favorite island. But all the pics I've seen from Al look great. I'll check out your video when I get home. We haven't been able to dive in Eleuthera yet :depressed:

Great video! Let your diving partner know she needs to secure her gauges. :D

Reef looks like crap but the sharks are cool. Thanks for sharing.

Great video! Let your diving partner know she needs to secure her gauges. :D

She was recently certified and learned a lot from seeing the video.

Has anyone dove out of Spanish Bay?? I'm trying to find any operators or shops but google doesn't find much. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Are you asking about Spanish Wells? I'm not familiar with Spanish Bay. If you are asking about Spanish Wells then the closest dive op would be on Harbour Island. From Spanish Wells, you'd have to take the ferry to mainland Eleuthera, taxi to the other side of the island and then take a water taxi to Harbour Island. Or you could call the dive op on HI and ask them if they will pick you up at the dock on Spanish Wells. The only dive op that I know of on Harbour Is is Valentines.

Hi Heatheroe! I apologize, I meant Spanish Wells! Thank you for the reply. There was a Manuel's dive station listed in the directory for Spanish Wells, however I cant get a hold of anyone there. I think your right, Valentines is the closest! (Unfortunately).

Do you have any experience taking taxis on Eleuthera? The place were renting said they would send a taxi, for $15 per person from N. Eleuthera airport to Spanish wells (includes water taxi). I have no idea if this is fair, or if we are getting hosed? Any ideas?

Thank you again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom