Trip Report: Destin Jetties July 1, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_luv

Registered
Reaction score
High tide at 7am, we drive up just before 7. I dove with Android (aka Dear Husband :) )The walk out to the jetties area was not bad, even with all our gear. We had to wade through all the snorkelers, though, to get deep enough to dive.
We finally got under the water and saw we had great vis (~30 ft) and lots of fish. We went down to about 30ft and saw a flounder, a crab, two toadfish, plenty of nice rocks. We saw a very healthy community of hermit crabs crawling around, too. Very little current, even out a little farther.
Then I see these four fish behaving very strangely. None was bigger than about 4 inches and they see to be trying to swim away from each other, but keep getting jerked back together. I swam closer and they began to flee (they were small fish, so they weren't able to flee very fast). Then I realize they are all attached together with monofilament fishing line. There's also a bit of the fishing line trailing beside me, so I grab it and reel them in.
Well, they fight a little, as fish on a line will do, but I get them close enough to realize all it will take is a few swipes with my dive knife to set them free. I cut loose the guy on the right, then the guy on the far left. The middle two are pretty tangled, but another swipe with the knife in the right place sets the third fish free. Then I just have to hold the little fish that's left in my right hand, work the hook out of it's mouth with my other, and voila - he's free! I've just freed four fish from a bait rig 30ft down! Stuffed the bait rig in my BC pocket and go on diving.
We stayed down another 15 mins or so, just watching all the sealife.
Saw another group go by and one diver sends his fin crashing down on a rock that just barely shelters a toadfish. We tried to stay out of their way. We didn't let them bother us though - the day was too fine.

After we finally came up (40 min dive) we got to shallow water but instead of walking we floated around the curve of the beach until we absolutely had to get out of the water and walk back to the car. It was a great start to our vacation.

Sad that a little more than a week after we dove the area Dennis came through and rearranged the beach.
I want to thank SeaYoda and Superbugman for their most excellent advice. We wouldn't have had the chance to dive here if it weren't for their information. Thanks guys!

~Kelley

Hi Scuba_Luv

Although your trip sounds wonderful,I'm sure there was no betther feeling than knowing you saved the lives of those 4 little fish. I think that small act is something that you should be commended on. From the 4 little fish to you...THANK YOU!

Glad you had fun, great report!

I hope we see viz like that again soon - who knows what it looks like now. Thanks for the report and I'm glad you got a good dive in. Come back some time when we can all get together for a dive.

triciask:
Hi Scuba_Luv

Although your trip sounds wonderful,I'm sure there was no betther feeling than knowing you saved the lives of those 4 little fish. I think that small act is something that you should be commended on. From the 4 little fish to you...THANK YOU!

:)
It wasn't all out of charity, I'm afraid. I was hoping they could grow up to be bigger fish - and next time they could be lunch!

Luckily, we did eat our share of fish while we were in FL. We had some great grouper, some Wahoo, Dolphin fish, and the 4lb Yellowtail snapper my daughter caught down in the Keys. Now that's fine food!

~Kelley

Haha! Well I figured you were a fish lover....but never figured on the ulterior motive!!

Glad you had a great time!

Tyme

scuba_luv:
:)
It wasn't all out of charity, I'm afraid. I was hoping they could grow up to be bigger fish - and next time they could be lunch!

Luckily, we did eat our share of fish while we were in FL. We had some great grouper, some Wahoo, Dolphin fish, and the 4lb Yellowtail snapper my daughter caught down in the Keys. Now that's fine food!

~Kelley

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom