Trip Report - Coral Paradise - 2/7-2/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chasin' Tales

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This was our third trip to Bonaire and third time staying at Coral Paradise Resort. Can't say enough good things about Kenny & Margaret!

We had another great trip with some good dives and topside fun. My wife was so fed up with the Sea Life camera from the last trip that she decided to rent a Cool Pics from Bon Photo. She managed to snap some good pics which has reignited her subsea photo ambitions...we now have a housing for the 5D on order.

Most of our dives this trip were at the southern sites. The furthest north we dove was Jeff Davis. The furthest south was Red Slave. I don't have my dive log with me and my memory just isn't quite good enough to recall what dives we did each day...some highlights from what I can recall:

Andrea I & II: Saw two turtles, got some good pics of them lounging amongst the coral.

Cliff/Small Wall/La Machaca - Dove these a couple times. Saw the frogfish here on our last dive. My crohn's was getting the best of me on this last dive. We had eaten at the new Italian place the night before. Knowing that I shouldn't, I had the pizza. It tore me up the next day. My gut was doing some bad things before we even started the dive. I was about to abort when I saw the frogfish. We snapped some pics...I had some "leakage" in my wetsuit (yes, I crapped my wetsuit)...had to abort the dive. Ended up at Cap't Don's dock. It was not a pleasant ending to that dive. Yikes! Sorry if anyone witnessed the brownout underneath Cap't Don's dock. The fish didn't seem to mind.

East Side Diving - Funchi's Reef & White Hole: These dives were amazing! The highlight of the trip for sure. In the two dives we saw over a dozen eagle rays, more turtles than we could count, 100+ tarpon, stingrays, and lobster. The diving is a bit more challenging than shore dives on the lee side, but don't let that stop you from doing this. We are already looking forward to some more East Side dives on our next trip.

Some other sites we dove: Bari, The Lake, 1/2 between Angel City & Alice in Wonderland, Aquarius (saw a spotted eagle ray in the sand channel), Margate Bay (another of our favorites), unmarked spot just north of Red Beryl, and Salt Pier. This was our first dive at the salt pier. We will definitely do this one again.

We ate dinner at Bistro, Mona Lisa, Four Seasons, Wills, Sonia Home, Cap't Don's. Bistro & Mona Lisa are our favorites, Wills & Four Seasons were very good as well. We won't be going back to Sonia Home and will be surprised if it is still open the next time we visit the island. The restaurant at Cap't Dons is average, at best. We had lunch at the new Peruvian restaurant at Den Leman. It was good and the views are nice. Great place to have lunch. I'm assuming dinner would be decent also.

One of the first dinners we had on the island was at Four Seasons. For dessert we split a chocolate lava cake. It was divine. It also led to a quest to find which restaurant on the island had the best chocolate lava cake. Wills and the Peruvian joint at Del Leman were the only other restaurants we visited that had lava cakes on the menu. Four Seasons won hands down. It was so good that after our Valentines day dinner at Bistro, we had to go back to Four Seasons for dessert. That night we each had to have our own lava cake.

Friday afternoon on our offgas time we visited the distillery and the indian inscriptions. Both are worth checking out.

Here's some of the pics...enjoy!

DSCN0128_zpsf3f90e29.jpg

DSCN0011_zpsbd5099bf.jpg

992B6107-2_zps8abeab69.jpg

992B5985-2-2_zps3ada08a6.jpg

992B5784-2_zps205c1fb8.jpg

992B5850-2_zpsc5c80ca5.jpg

DSCN0143_zps64edd9d4.jpg

DSCN0167_zps954aab90.jpg

DSCN0178_zpsd3acd5c6.jpg

DSCN0179_zps2a740ec9.jpg

DSCN0186_zps2b1c29e6.jpg

DSCN0194_zpsf0e27ff5.jpg

DSCN0197_zps5050458d.jpg

DSCN0218_zps9798d100.jpg

DSCN0225_zps03ce81ed.jpg

DSCN0227_zpsf9485060.jpg

DSCN0240_zps057e2329.jpg

DSCN0280_zps00822af6.jpg

DSCN0285_zpsc165bbef.jpg

DSCN0331_zps053dada4.jpg

DSCN0343_zpsc82b2321.jpg

DSCN0352_zps3d5dbd33.jpg

DSCN0357_zpsebd0f703.jpg

DSCN0363_zps1a2a4480.jpg

DSCN0365_zpsd755b7c7.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report and photos.
We stayed at Coral paradise a number of years back, Kenny and Margaret were still working on building the place at the time, very nice folks.
Who'd you dive with on the east or is it possible to dive these sites from shore?

Thanks for the report and photos.
We stayed at Coral paradise a number of years back, Kenny and Margaret were still working on building the place at the time, very nice folks.
Who'd you dive with on the east or is it possible to dive these sites from shore?

We used Bonaire East Coast Diving www.bonaireeastcoastdiving.com

The seas on the east side are seldom calm enough to allow safe shore diving. The day we went the seas were 4-6'. The ride out was a little bumpy, but entry & exit from the boat was a piece of cake. They've really got a good operation. The dives were a bit on the long side...second dive was 72 minutes. The DM said it would be a ~60 min dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom