Trip Report - Boracay, Phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1thumper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's Christmas morning and I'm sitting in a pair or swim trunks by the beach. Hmm, not too bad.

There are many well-known diving destinations in SE Asia. So why does someone go to Boracay? In my case it's because my certified but rarely-diving wife and daughter make it clear that destinations such as Sipidan or Puerta Galera are pretty boring to non-divers. Boracay on the other hand has a great beach and a tremendous variety of bars, restaraunts, and shops.

So after selecting Boaracy and then much time spent on Tripadvisor looking at hotels, we made reservations at the "Boracay Beach Resort". It's close to the primary action area of the beach, but is not immediately adjacent to any bar or other big noisemaker so is relatively quiet. The staff is wonderful, the room (Suite#2) nice, clean and bright.

Upon arrival I went to a dive shop (that looked pretty basic) near the hotel to inquire about what they offerred. The young lady present was proud to confirm that they indeed do offer diving. However when asked if Nitrox was available and what blends her eyes glazed over so it was time for me to beat a hasty retreat. Going back to the hotel for a recommendation, they quickly said "go to Free Willy". I went there and talked to Marge, who knew what she was talking about and a dive trip was quickly scheduled for the next morning.

Boracay has maybe 15-20 named dive sites. On the windward side of the island are apparently a number of shallow reefs, but it was too windy during my visit to go there as the water was pretty rough and not good for small boat diving at the time. The leeward side of the island is where the main beach and hotel strip are located, and about ten sites are on that side and accessible by a 5-15 minutes ride in a small boat. Over the next 5 days I did 14 dives on that side, in a variey of locations and to maximum depth of 36M.

"Yapak 2" was the most interesting site and I went there several times. It's a bank that quickly drops off into the deep. I saw whitetip reef sharks and huge marble rays. Apparently other shark types show up occasionally as well. Two interesting features are at one point along the edge where you can hang on a reef hook and watch swirling schools of fish, and another where there is a crack across the top of the wall about half a meter wide where large sweetlips, grouper, blacktip sharks, and others would seek shelter along with cleaning services from local wrasse. It's a 30-35M dive so Nitrox is advisable to get decent bottom time.

Other sites were reefs, banks, and one sunken ship (the Camia) that after several years is beginning to show some good marine growth and fish life. Large fish are rare except at the deeper sites such as Yapak2, but all sites had a variety of fish life, along with some nudibranchs and other macro-photography opportunities. The coral is present but not the quality or variety of many other well-known other SE Asia diving destinations. However, given that Boracay was selected as our destination for reasons other than diving, I didn't go into the trip with high expectations and am very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the diving that they offer. Vis is 7-20+M depending upon site and tide.

There are a lot of dive shops on the island. My sense is that the majority build their business around assembly-line Discover Scuba Diving customers, operating with pretty low standards and are best avoided. "Free Willy" is a good operation, with very helpful office staff, good boat crews, and good divemasters. I did about half of my dives with Willy (the owner, nice guy); he is also an enthusiastic photographer. Ray was my DM for most of the other dives and was excellent. This operation clearly focuses on the more serious diver and I highly recommend them.

If one is only looking for hard core diving with wonderful reefs or lots of interesting wrecks, Boracay would not be at the top of the "got-to-do" list. However, it's a great location for a group that needs to balance the needs of divers and non-divers.

I heard something about SEAIR Airlines. Someone can complain this airlines, because of the time slot, and also the facilities, this airlines, is non-condition plane. Much better if cebu pacific or philippines airlines plane.

I heard something about SEAIR Airlines. Someone can complain this airlines, because of the time slot, and also the facilities, this airlines, is non-condition plane. Much better if cebu pacific or philippines airlines plane.

Based on a couple of trips to Boracay I'd rate SEAIR as the best airline flying to Caticlan for timing, organisation etc.

The downside is the flight prices tend to be much higher than PAL or Cebu Pacific and some people don't like to fly in a small 10 seater plane as the ride can be bumpy! The planes are normally unpressursed as they are prop driven rather than jet, but based on the flight altitudes between Manila and Caticlan this doesn't have a huge difference as most airlines are only pressurised to around 6000ft.....

I'd certainly not say they should be avoided though! If price was no issue I'd choose them over the other airlines everytime!

I've just come back from a 6 day trip to Boracay - my 2nd trip there in 2 years. Agree with 1Thumper that it's a fair balance for non-divers and divers (in my case, my GF of whom I was hoping would give it a shot).

I stayed with The Sands Boracay (Station 2), which was pretty decent and dove with DiveGurus (Station 3). They're a smaller diveshop but doesn't cater for the masses. The main instructor is Edwin, of whom has certified me twice now (Rescue two years ago) & EANx last week. He's extremely knowledgeable of the local waters and someone I trust fully.

This most recent trip, Yapak 2 and Yapak 3 were probably my best dives. As with 1thumper, I saw sleeping white tips, sea turtle, an eagle ray. I also agree that Nitrox is a huge benefit for Yapak 2 (which was how we managed to catch a glimpse of the sea turtle).

Another nice site was shark cave/channel drift. This was my 2nd Nitrox with depth around 33-35m. Saw another white tip, sea snake, and cuttlefish. Drifting with the current was nice/easy.

As for the Camia wreck, actually it was dragged in and brought there. It wasn't wrecked there. But yes after a few years, there's more marine life almost challenging Friday's Rock.

As for the island itself, although there are quite a few tourists there, it's not too touristy (for my tastes) and that's a good thing. It's a great balance between a relaxing and party life, massages there are cheap, etc.

Possibly I could be too pampered but to me the pain of Boracay is getting there and leaving. Sufficient transit times required in Manila when transferring between international & domestic terminals. Touts are everywhere (yes I got conned), and in general signs aren't clear. The same when landing in Caticlan with everyone fussing around you and your luggage then asking for tips. Even the ferry ride across from Caticlan to Boracay, it's money going out out out (granted it's still cheap but ridiculous with the terminal fee, environmental fee, boat fee - easier if they just lumped it into one single fee).

But once I was -in- Boracay, I was much more relaxed.

Here are some pics :-

http://gallery.me.com/sean.chan#100163&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Been to Boracay 5-6 times over the last 6 years. Got my ow (2004) at Calypso Diving (very professional) and got my aow (2010) with Dive Gurus (very accomodating and friendly) You are right that it has the perfect balance for family vacation mixed with diving. 5-15 minutes to most sites means you can go out and be back before the missus and kids are up. Nothing spoils a "family" vacation more than having to travel hours to sites. There are certainly better diving but I concur that the mix is just about right. Hitting Siquijor this Saturday, I think it may be the same (without the shopping:cool2:)

P.S. My brother and friends run

myboracayguide

add the www and the com

check it out for reservations

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reports. I spent about 3 months on Boracay and did my DM course last year. I have to plug Lapu-Lapu Diving LAPU-LAPU Diving Center. Boracay Island, Philippines where I spent most of that 3 months. They are right at the entrance to D'mall from the beach and are a very professional operation. Boracay certainly offers a nice mix of surface and underwater activities. The OP already mentioned the diving on the eastern side of the island. This is most accessible during certain times of year, around Oct-Mar, but could be requested anytime. There are only shallow (>15m) reefs but, since they are not dived often, the corals are really nice and certainly worth a look. I'll also mention two sights in particular which are Crocodile Island and Balinghai. Crocodile Island is a slope dive on the north side of the island and has some of the best soft corals and reef fish at Boracay. Balinghai is a slope on the west (usually dived) side of Boracay and seems to offer the most life including soft corals, cuttlefish and turtles. Yapak, as mentioned before, is an advanced dive with nice scenery but bottom time is limited since the wall doesn't even start until about 32m depth. Other than diving, Boracay has an endless selection of live music, dining/drinking opportunities and, of course, an extremely beautiful beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom