Trip Report Trip Report -- Bonaire Virgin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great point about the seatbelts of the rental truck. We have had many rental trucks with non-functioning seat belts on one side or the other, and perhaps even both, and we never thought to ask for a different truck. We just chalked it up to the island attitude and the fact that these trucks take a lot of abuse. But seatbelts really are important safety equipment. I do thorough pre-dive checks for my safety, yet I let non-functioning seatbelts slide? You made me see the inconsistency in my thinking.

Also check rental trucks for tires that don't look so bald as to be a blowout waiting to happen, and check for a functioning jack and spare tire. Give the jack a good look, too, because it may be totally rusted out, as we found ours to be when we needed it.

I take the opportunity to totally immerse myself in the freedom of Bonaire, and don't wear a seatbelt. It's a nice change. There is of course the now programmed instict to reach for it, but I always smile a little when I catch myself and let it slide.

That is great to know about the fish. We bought some frozen Mahi mahi at the food warehouse. I am sure it was nowhere as good as fresh fish would have been. The only other way we heard of was to go to it rains fishes.

Kite City food truck has the best fresh fish on the island in my opinion.

I take the opportunity to totally immerse myself in the freedom of Bonaire, and don't wear a seatbelt. It's a nice change. There is of course the now programmed instict to reach for it, but I always smile a little when I catch myself and let it slide.

You crazy rebel, you. I bet you also leave your computer set to 32% the whole week for those 60 ft. Bonaire reef dives regardless of whether the Nitrox analyzer reads "33" or "32" or "31". I don't know anyone who would do that. :)

Kite City food truck has the best fresh fish on the island in my opinion.
Kite City does have awesome fish! Also- Breeze n Bites restaurant at Den Laman condos get's fresh local fish and is an outstanding waterfront restaurant.

The fish sandwiches and fresh fish at Mi Banana aren't too bad either. Don't be put off by the appearance of this place from the outside. The food is good and the owners are very nice people.

Sounds like you've done a lot of diving and some great places in January 2016, so a little over a year. Great to hear! Glad to see you're exploring a broad array of options. When the time comes for 're-runs,' which call to your 1st?

Ranking/rating places is one of our favorite parlor games to play together! Everything to date has been above the bar, but our favorites have been the dive camp-esq type places, so CoCo View on Roatan and Little Cayman Beach Resort. I'm also itching to get back to Cozumel and dive with one of the more diver-focused ops like Aldora. Kona was great and had fun non-diving activities, but getting there is a pain.

Have you done a Caribbean live-aboard yet? They offer a convenient, high-dive volume, low work 'dive-style,' good food, good company (fellow avid divers), easy entry/exit, and while some forbid solo diving, you & a buddy can do your own dive if you wish from what I've seen.
Picking a Caribbean Live-aboard - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...ats/495738-picking-caribbean-live-aboard.html

Funny you should mention that. We're going on Belize Aggressor IV later this spring due, in no small part, to the meticulous trip report you provided after your experience with them. Live-aboards also seem like a good way to do the Turk and Caicos, which is another destination on our "to-go" list.

cheers,
RCB

drrich2 does some of the absolute best and most objective dive trip reports on this forum. Based on his reports and those of others, I would personally not even consider diving in Belize or the Turks and Caicos except from a live aboard. Was thinking about doing the Belize Aggressor IV myself this year-- was looking at their 10 days for the price of 7 offer in the late summer/fall. Eventually, my dive crew won out and we will be in Bonaire shore diving our brains out in August. Prior to that, it will be 9 days of diving in Cozumel next month with Mrs. Trailboss and Christi
@ www.bluextseadiving.com

I have had the fish sandwich at breeze and bites for lunch several times. It's pretty good. I think it is about $11. But they seem like they are closed for part of the week.

Unfortunately, Between two buns is also closed on Sundays and is not opened for dinner at all any day of the week. I had some suramanese food once when everyone was closed late on a Saturday. It was a bit outside my comfort zone. I did not realize that there were that many people familiar with suramanise food,

Karel's fish sandwhich is wahoo. That's good if you find yourself downtown in the evenings.

I have now taken to bringing some food with me in case of a late flight in.

Back
Top Bottom