Trip Report: Bonaire 10/19-28 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Executive Summary:
Bonaire diving: Recommended (doh!)
Captain Don's Habitat (CDH): Recommended.
Buddy Dive National Park sites boat trip: Recommended
Maduro Travel Agency: Recommended.

Overview

My wife and I made our fourth visit to Bonaire last month, staying at Captain Don's again as we had for the previous three. We returned a week or so before Tomas passed nearby, and had mostly nice diving and vacation conditions. We had some rain and overcast along with some sunny hot days, but that also meant getting to see rainbows stretching from the northern hills to Klein Bonaire while eating breakfast.

Arrived Tuesday evening, left Thursday morning after a no-dive day on Wednesday. We did 17 dives over seven days of diving, including six boat trips to Klein Bonaire, the Hilma Hooker, the Salt Pier at night, five dives on the CDH house reef, another shore dive, another night dive, and the Buddy Dive three-tank boat trip to the north end national park sites.

My report for our previous trip in December 2008 is here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/264815-trip-report-bonaire-12-2-12-12-08-a.html. While having read that isn't assumed here, I'll try not to duplicate any of the information reported there except for some really important stuff, so Bonaire newbies looking for planning information might find that an instructive read.

We didn't have my sister and brother in law along this trip, they decided on Europe instead of diving this fall. Go figure. But this meant I only had my wife to convince to try some shore diving, and we managed to do two; Angel City and the Salt Pier. She can't handle the rubble entries with gear on, but I (or Leo on the Salt Pier dive) carried her scuba unit in and out of the water, and we made it work well enough that we'll probably try some more of it next trip.

This was our first time with my wife's new toy, an Ikelite housing for her Canon S95. By our definition it was a success, since she did 14 dives taking pictures, and even a movie, with it and it didn't flood. This is a significant step for underwater photo newbies that have never put a camera in a housing before. I took along a couple of our usual 50' Kodak disposables, but after comparing her shots, even before post-processing, I may not even bother in the future. Looks like I'm going to be a photographer's buddy going forward. We'll see how that works out.

Now she gets to play with the post processing software for color correction; she shot in raw+jpg per the valued advice here on scubaboard. With a steep learning curve and several hundred images to play with, that should keep her busy until our next dive trip. The attached images are just some unedited jpgs which I may need to compress further to upload, more for exposition than any attempt to impress wrt image quality.

Our Bonaire trip segued into a visit to my wife's family near Orlando, so we were gone for three weeks, and I only had my iPod touch with me; that's why this report is a little slow showing up.

Diving

My computer recorded all bottom temperatures as either 86 or 84 degF. My wife's usually reports slightly lower, she had a few 82's and a couple of 86's. Visibility was mostly 40-50 feet. We saw pretty much all the usual Bonaire creatures except octopus and turtles. Worth mentioning was a really huge green moray at the Salt Pier, maybe 7 feet long and a foot "high" counting fin. Biggest eel I've ever seen. He didn't care for being disturbed, but just swam away into the darkness. The sponges on the pier pilings were gorgeous shades of reds, oranges, yellows, greens and blacks. See photos.

On our other night dive, off the CDH dock, we were followed on the trip back by a pair of large 6' resident tarpon that swim very close, and use our lights to hunt with, although I didn't see them get anything. We've "hunted" with these guys before, on our last trip. On the same dive, what we think was either a gray or cubera snapper about 2' long was with us the entire dive, actively chasing our lights into holes and under ledges, like a hound dog. Saw him chase a few fish, but not actually catch anything. See photo.

Many of the sergeant majors were in their blue phase during our week, visibly guarding and fanning dark patches of eggs. A few lionfish. We found both Pederson and coral banded shrimp at cleaning stations. What we think was probably a scorpionfish under a coral ledge.

There really wasn't any dive that we didn't enjoy, some were maybe a bit more memorable than others, but I almost feel it would be unfair to the other sites to try to single any of them out. I'd happily do any of them twice again tomorrow if I could. But if I had to pick a top five from this trip, it would be Tailor Made, Angel City, Salt Pier, Carl's Hill, and Hands Off.

CDH Dive operation

The CDH dive staff was mostly unchanged from our last visit two years ago. I don't have enough experience to be sure, but I'd guess that that stability is a little unusual. We had the pleasure of re-aquainting with Leo Hoogenboom, our AOW instructor from our last visit, who was a DM on several of our boat trips, and who also arranged and led the Salt Pier night dive. We also got to meet his wife Suze, who is a videographer at CDH as well as other dive operations.

The new dive shop complex has been completed since our last visit, when it was still under construction. A little roomier and nicer. The locker area is still kind of ramshackle, but better lit at night than I recall. Bring a small lock.

This was our first visit to CDH since getting nitrox certified, so I'll describe that. Nitrox at CDH requires a surcharge, we bought an unlimited use upgrade with our package. There is a cage outside the dive shop with filled nitrox tanks, maybe around 60 of them. It's locked except when the dive shop is open, 8 AM to 5 PM. This is in contrast to to air tanks, which are available 24/7. The cage has one analyzer, with a sign requesting that we don't try to calibrate it. I analyzed an air tank, which read exactly 21.0. The analyzer may be the reason the cage is locked. After analyzing a tank, we were instructed to log it, and mark it with tape with our name, dive number, %02, PSI, and if we were going to use it on a boat dive, the boat name and trip date & time. Alternatively, we could just mark it "shore". Then place it nearby, outside the cage. So you can dive nitrox 24/7, but you have to plan ahead.

When signing up for a boat dive by putting your dive number on the board, we were requested to add an 'N' if we would be using nitrox. Then the dive staff would find the appropriate marked tank in the area outside the cage and load it on the boat for you. There was no analyzer or spare nitrox tanks on the boats, but there were a few extra air tanks to save a dive if a problem was discovered at the dive site.

The %O2 mixes varied pretty widely. It's supposed to all be nominally 32%. We saw everything from 28 to 36, we usually just left the extreme outliers for someone else and tried another tank. I talked to one of the staff and was given a short tour of the nitrox fill station and process. They do in-tank partial pressure blending using large O2 cylinders that come from Curacao. They fill four at a time. There's a table on the wall that they use to guide the mix based on the starting pressure in the nominally empty tank. As an engineer, I'd say there's enough error built in to the granularity of their table, that they're filling four tanks at a time, and that they don't control for the %02 in the residue in the nominally empty tank, to see how they get can that much variability.

Maybe a bit sloppy, but it didn't really bother me as long as we could analyze what we were using. We're mostly using nitrox just for the subjective "feel-better" effect (which we both perceive as real), not for more bottom time, and we wouldn't have exceeded the MOD for even 36% on our dives, and we just didn't use the high %O2 outliers anyway. Looking at my log, I used everything from 30 to 33 %O2.

There were two boats in use, a typical 20-tank-rack dive boat "Ocean Freedom", and a larger flat-deck catamaran "Bonaire Diver" with a canopy. We were on both for our various boat trips. Two crew, one gets in the water, you can stay with the DM or not. All trips are one-tank dives, there are three trips a day, 8:00, 11:00, and 2:30, and sometimes both boats will be in use at the same time, to different sites.

They are very low key about tipping; the only thing that might be considered a request or reminder is a painted tank with a slot cut in it, discreetly out of the way against a wall in the shop. No signs with guidelines or suggestions. We inquired; they open and distribute it per written instructions, or share it evenly if there are none, at the end of the month. Cash is welcome, credit cards can be used but then there are taxes etc. that come into play. Envelopes for the purpose are available at the hotel desk. We tipped our various DMs directly for the most part, after we were done diving for the week, per the customary amounts I've seen described here on scubaboard, but added a little in the tank for the back room staff. We had brought cash for that.

An accounting of any rental or extra dive shop charges beyond the prepaid package was available for review after 3:00 PM on our no-dive day. We found it 100% correct wrt accounting. It attempted to list the sites of our boat trips, which many might find useful, but apparently when the captain decides to change that ad hoc because of conditions or whatever, that doesn't get reported back to the office, so I wouldn't trust it for log purposes.

Buddy Dive's "Washington Slagbaai Park Safari"

This is new this year, so obviously we hadn't done it before, and being limited shore divers, it was our first opportunity to dive any of the far northern sites. This is a three-tank trip; we had to be there at 7:30 AM and got back before 3:00 PM. Nitrox is included in the price if you're certified. There were two analyzers on board so we could check our tanks on the ride north. All 6 tanks my wife and I used were a uniform 30%. There's an unlocked gate between Captain Don's and Buddy Dive, so we just walked over with our gear. They asked us to bring our weights from CDH.

It wasn't peak season yet, so they were doing this trip twice a week; I assume they'll do it more often if the demand is there. We went over and did all the releases and C-card checks and payment a few days before, then just showed up and got on the boat. The boat, "Dive Buddy", is comparatively huge, I counted racks for 66 tanks in four rows. No head. We had ten divers and three crew on the trip, so it was quite roomy. The crew took turns, one in the water with us each dive. There was about a one hour SI between dives, with watermelon slices between the first and second, and lunch between the second and third. Lunch was a choice of sandwiches (enough for two each). No snacks, or drinks other than water. I had asked about that in advance, and brought my Official Captain Don's water bottle full of cold coffee, so life was good.

We traveled up to Playa Funchi, the first site, then worked our way south to Boka Slagbaai and Tailor Made. Tailor Made isn't on the official dive site map, but it is in BSDME as just south of Nukove. It was overcast (even rained a little) and a little choppy; I gather that in calmer conditions they might go to even further north sites, but we very much enjoyed what we did. Coincidentally, we had been to Playa Funchi before, but not as divers; we stopped for lunch there on our driving tour of the park on our no-fly day last trip. That was pleasant, but diving it was better.

Playa Funchi and Tailor Made were done as drift dives, and there was a noticeable current. We've done drift dives before, but never in Bonaire. Boka Slagbaai was out-and-back, from the map it's in a little bight that I guess protects it from the current.

All three dives were pleasant and interesting. Nothing out of the usual creature-wise. But Tailor Made had some spectacular large hard coral formations, like melting mushrooms, or Disney on acid. The photo is the best we had, but it doesn't do it justice because it doesn't capture the size of the landscape covered by the mushroom shapes, and I don't want to wait until my wife figures out how to post process for color correction.

I would definitely recommend this trip as something a little different for Bonaire, and could see doing the trip again on a future visit. But the boat crew mentioned something about a change of plans for this big boat, to do dives at the south end of Bonaire. I didn't get the full story, and/or they didn't know it, but it's possible that this northern trip will cease to be available at some point. I don't want to be alarmist, but thought it worth mentioning.

Sea Turtle Conservation

On the last night we were there, Leo gave a slide presentation on the place of Bonaire in the life cycle of sea turtles, and the efforts of Sea Turtle Conservation Bonaire (STCB), for which he and his wife are volunteers, to study and protect them. This was in the classroom at CDH, but it's open to all; if you're visiting Bonaire and would like to attend this talk,
contact Leo through the links below, I believe he does it twice a month. It was an interesting, well organized and well delivered presentation.

He also described an interesting fund-raising project for STCB he and a partner are doing this December, a single-dive underwater circumnavigation of Klein Bonaire. I have separately posted his mail about that here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/go...tion-klein-bonaire-circumnavigation-dive.html

Accommodations - CDH

This time, booking in March, we got our first choice, a villa suite. King bed, kitchen, living room, and patio. This was similar to what we were in the first time at CDH in 2003, but our class of room had been steadily downhill since, not of our choice. We might have stayed somewhere else than CDH if the suite hadn't been available. We enjoyed it, although it had some deficiencies. However, my purpose in detailed exposition is to be useful going forward, and the villa suites as they have been are going away, so I won't bother with the list of shortcomings.

They have almost completed the new "junior suites" that were built on the site of the old dive shop. They were mostly furnished, and booked for guests two weeks after we were there, so by the time I get this posted, they'll be in use.
We got a tour; sort of a studio apartment with a king bed, a sitting area with a convertible sofa, table/workdesk, and flat screen TV. A small sink/kitchen area with microwave and under-counter refrigerator. Tub/shower. A private covered balcony or patio overlooking the ocean and Klein Bonaire. Wifi will reportedly be available in the rooms.

When these are a available, they say they will stop renting the villa suites and villa studios, and instead rent the entire villas only to larger groups, and there will be some renovations done on them to support that. We think we'd be quite comfortable in one of the new junior suites next time we come.

WiFi wasn't available in our suite, so I would go sit on the comfortable couch in the air conditioned CDH office for a bit to check news and mail.

Food and Dining

Breakfasts were the buffet at CDH, maybe a little pricey for what it is, which hasn't changed, but we followed the path of convenience and least resistance there. The coffee is still nominally brought around by a server, but there continues to be a softening in attitude towards walking up to the hostess station and pouring your own. Maybe in another ten years or so it will just be self-serve like the rest of it other than the omelet bar, which I'd prefer.

Lunches were either cold-cut sandwiches or cup-a-soup or dinner leftovers, and instant coffee I had brought along. We shopped at Cultimara and Warehouse supermarkets, and also at the Zhung Kong market about a half mile north of CDH, which had a pretty good selection of stuff for its size. I had also brought along a small collection of fast food condiment packets, to avoid paying Bonaire prices for a jar of mustard or mayo or salt we'll use a few spoons of.

For dinners we indulged in several of the nice restaurants on Bonaire:

Casablanca Argentine grill: We had the mixed grill for two as always. Very good, and very good value. They have added a very simple salad bar, just lettuce, cuke & tomato slices, and onions with a few bottled dressing choices, but the veggies were fresh and it really made for an even nicer dinner. There's a lot of meat, plus rice and potato; we each had a large dinner from about half of it, and then another dinner and a lunch from the leftovers.

On our last night we decided to see what else was good and went back, but ended up picking items from the mixed grill we particularly liked, the short ribs and chorizo. Good, but nowhere near the value proposition of the mixed grill. For investigative purposes I had the fries instead of the baked potato, and wasn't impressed.

Pasa Bon Pizza: We had a large fish & artichoke pizza, their specialty. Very good, and we got two lunches out of the leftovers.

Bobbi Jan's BBQ: Tasty simple grilled meat choices, although a limited menu. I remembered they had good fries, but this time they were transcendent. Almost translucent without being obviously greasy.

Unbelievable: The best meal we had. Pricey. I had the seafood mixed grill; a couple of shrimp, three scallops, a half cup of calamari, and a grouper filet in a nice garlic sauce, with a baked potato and veggies. it was all delicious. My wife had five small lamb chops, cooked medium rare, with rice, also very good. No room for dessert. We were disappointed in the bread, though, compared to the rest. Again, we ate on the rooftop patio overlooking Kleine Bonaire, very nice.

Bambu: Our first time there. Very nice, maybe a little too nouvelle for my preference. Also pricey. I had a tuna filet which I requested medium rare but came rare. It was still pretty good, I didn't want to take the chance of sending it back and getting it overcooked. My wife had a seafood fettucini dinner special that included a small goat cheese salad and dessert, which we shared. Good bread.

We also ate at Rum Runner's, the restaurant at CDH, twice, once the night we arrived, and again after the Salt Pier night dive, when we just didn't feel like driving back into town. Our previous experiences there was on a late arrival and all they had was pizza, which I found memorably unimpressive, and the Monday BBQ buffet, ditto. This time we got the regular menu. First meal I had a fish and veggie wrap, and my wife had a boneless rib sandwich on baguette, both pretty good. Second time we both had basic mushroom burgers, nothing special, but more than acceptable. Pretty good fries.

We also managed a stop for ice cream at Lover's, at the traffic circle, as good as I remembered. And a nice sandwich lunch at Eli Deli across the street from Lover's.

A couple of the places added a gratuity to the bill, for just two people. Check your bill at Bonaire restaurants to be sure you're not tipping twice.

Travel & Odds & Ends

I believe Maduro is the exclusive NA agent for CDH. We've used them before, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. They set up our CDH package just as we requested. We also had them book our Miami/Bonaire air, and an AB Carrental truck. It all went fairly smoothly.

We wanted to avoid the weekend rush and wanted to stay a little over a week, so we stayed away from the weekly red-eye direct flights. We flew to Miami and stayed overnight, then flew to Bonaire on Insel via Curacao. The Bonaire/Curacao flight is just 25 minutes, in a ~20 seat dual turboprop Embraer 110.

The free luggage allowance on the Bonaire flight is 20 Kg (44 lbs), and it's $3 / Kg for excess. I expected that and didn't really mind, the gear has to get there. A friendly note is that they combined both our bags and only charged for the excess over 88 lbs. And my wife's smaller < 10 Kg roller carryon had to be gate-checked, but wasn't counted as part of the baggage weight.

But I did discover that if you are flying Curacao/Miami on Insel the same day, where the free baggage allowance is 40 Kg (88 lbs) per person, then they allow the same free 88 lbs on the Bonaire/Curacao leg. We did that on the return flight, but I had chosen American for the Miami -> Curacao flight just because the flight times were more convenient, so I had to pay the excess in that direction. That required either cash, or a walk to the other end of the Curacao airport to the Insel office to pay by credit card.

There is food both inside and outside the terminal in Curacao. Inside is marginally better, and air conditioned. On the way to Bonaire, we had to claim our bags, go through customs, and walk outside the arrival terminal and reenter the departure terminal. I don't know if the bags would have been checked through if we had flown Insel both legs. On the way back bags were checked through to Miami, but the walk outside between terminals was still required. There is a $2 transient tax going through Curacao, each way. Not in the ticket price.

There is a casual approach to flight information and passenger communication in both the Curacao and Bonaire airports. Flights were delayed without announcement, and departed without announcement. The Curacao -> Miami flight departed from a different gate than the one listed on the TV screen. Stay alert.

On previous trips to Bonaire, we have made time to go to the airport and pay the departure tax in advance, to avoid any rush on departure, and have recommended others do that. Things change. Starting this past Oct 1, the departure tax (currently $35) will be prepaid in the cost of your airfare (yay!). However, we bought our tickets last March, so we knew we had to pay this, and went to the airport midweek while down south. They have a new policy, you have to check in and get your outbound boarding pass first before paying the tax. Apparently, some people were paying the tax, checking in, and discovering that the tax was already in their ticket, and coming back to the tax office requesting refunds. So the tax office decided it was easier on them to check the boarding pass to see if the tax was prepaid.

The good news is that soon there won't be anyone who hasn't paid it in their ticket, and they can just close the tax office, and nobody will have to stand in an extra line, or make a trip to the airport to prepay.

Maduro told us that AB Carrental.would pick us up on arrival and take us to their office at the Plaza resort. No show. An enterprising taxi driver offered to call them on his cell (I had the local number with me) and they authorized him to bring us over and paid the $10 fare; I tipped him generously for his help and in recognition of his initiative. AB said they were told we'd arrive at 10:00 AM and were waiting for us; but we were always scheduled to arrive at 5:30 PM from day 1 last March when we first booked it. Not sure who screwed up, but it worked out.

On departure, our flight was leaving before their offices open, so we left the truck at the keydrop location across the street from the airport. This has to be arranged in advance, which we did at their CDH office location.

The truck had about 70K km on it, and was usually a little balky starting up, but was fine once it got warm, never failed to start, and everything worked well enough.

Last trip, in December, it seemed that there was at least one cruise ship in town every day. This time we didn't see one. I asked, and was told it wasn't the season quite yet, but that they'd be coming. Yet another reason to think that October is a better time to dive Bonaire.

Once again, we started time shifting six weeks ahead, half an hour a week, so we wouldn't start our diving jet-lagged. Bonaire is three hours earlier than San Diego when DST is in effect, and waking at 3:30 AM body time to start a day of diving is not my idea of fun.

CDH has their registration form and dive release forms available as PDFs on their website. Use them. It's a long, tiring trip and it's nice not to be filling out forms when you check in. Oddly, though, the Nitrox release wasn't online, and I had the same experience last year at LCBR. I wonder if there's something about that I'm missing ...

A few photos from the trip ...

Attachments

• TailorMade.jpg
    TailorMade.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 104
  • HuntingSnapper.jpg
    HuntingSnapper.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Eel.jpg
    Eel.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Sponges.jpg
    Sponges.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Unbelievable.jpg
    Unbelievable.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Chillin.jpg
    Chillin.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 101
Very nice report. This past July, a few of us Scubaboard folks went to Bonaire and stayed at The Plaza Resort. It was nice, but needs some improvement, which looks like is happening. Some of us did boat dives, but I did not see the need since the shore diving was relatively easy if you picked your entry carefully. It is a nice place to dive and I will likely go again.

Thanks for the great, very thorough report. We are going to Bonaire for the first time in January 2011 and I have been spending plenty of time on Scubaboard trying to find out information. I will also check out your last trip.

I have a suggestion for your wife on starting to take SLR underwater photos. Check out a website: www.splashdowndivers.com/photo

I switched over from SLR film photography a couple of years ago and found that site really helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom