Trip Report - Belize Aggressor III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZNetEng

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife along with two good friends just spent the last week with Chris and crew on Aggressor III. I can sum it up for those that don't want to read the book I'm about to write. The trip was fantastic and if I could have stayed I would have.

We arrived on Saturday and journeyed to the Radisson where we met with other divers in the group, including a nice young couple who were getting on Aggressor IV. The beer was cold (I recommend the Belikin Stout) and the shrimp and fish bites were tasty. We headed out to the boat about 3:30 and immediately began unpacking our dive gear and setting up our lockers, and assembling rigs. Once completed we were shown to our rooms, given some valuable "how-to" info and then met our fellow divers/guests and the crew for a boat and safety briefing. This was to be indicative of how the week was to go.

I found the crew to be near perfectly balanced in terms of wanting everyone to be safe, and to have a good time. It helped that for the most part the entire group was fairly experienced and overall we got through the week with no major mishaps.

Before I type more, the important thing I want to say to everyone reading is: If you haven't done a live aboard and you really like diving definitely make it a priority. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, having only done my diving from a resort and a small boat with a small group. Again, the crew really set the tone with how they handled all the different personalities and interests, as well as their ability to help just about everyone out in some way through the week. It turned out to be a great experience, not crowded at all, with the ability to self guide if you wanted, or to just follow one of the dive guides. More on that later.

Accomodations: The rooms were comfortable, always clean, and roomy enough for what we needed. There was a TV with access to a media server that we actually never used. A nice library of books for fish ID as well as some light reading was available too. The salon was comfortable to sit and relax, as was the upper decks with chairs, hot tub, bar with a keg of beer and mugs, and a BlueTooth wireless speaker set that you could pair up your phone and play some music.

Food: Our chef for the week was Yanis, and she was assisted by Randy, our Steward. The food was simply outstanding. The dinners were noteworthy every single night. Fresh fish, chicken, beef, all incredibly well prepared and tasty. Side dishes were always the perfect compliment. The deserts were always worth leaving room for. Lunches, especially what she called the "Typical Belizean Lunch" was easily my favorite. Always a smile from Randy, always time to chat with you about preparing the food, quick to fill up an empty glass. The dining on board was fantastic, more really than we hoped for, and is worth experiencing even if you dont dive! If you are reading this Yanis, you really need to get to work on that cookbook!

Crew: I really cant say enough about Chris and his crew. Success starts at the top of any organization, and this one is no exception. I had the opportunity to spend some time chatting with Chris and he is one of the most genuine people I have ever met. He loves what he does, and it comes out in the words he speaks, the look in his eyes, and more importantly in the sound of his voice when he talks about his crew.

Fermin: The engineer aboard, he is a quiet professional. Moving with a purpose about the ship, he always took time to stop and lend a hand, always a smile on his face, a patient tone when he answered a question or offered advice.

Jerome: The diver's diver on the boat. A perpetual smile on his face, quick of wit and to lend a hand. He will be busy for a few weeks with the Captain's exam. He will make an excellent Captain I think. I have no doubt he will pass with flying colors. Follow Jerome on the night dives. He can find critters in the dark like he planted them there.

Ken: While Ken looks very young, in fact he has been in the industry in Belize for quite a while. An excellent diver and guide, seemingly everywhere doing everything from taking lunch orders to helping you out of the water, filling a tank, taking your numbers after a dive... A seemingly perpetual grin, he is quick to poke fun, crack a joke and have you laughing.

Randy: The Steward with the infectious grin, a quick joke, and a hand doing just about anything. Wandering with snacks between dives, he was very popular! Up to have breakfast ready for the early risers and coffee drinkers, getting all the guest rooms made up over breakfast and during the AM dives. He worked tirelessly, quietly, and quickly.

Yanis: If you have ever prepared a meal for 18 people, you know it isn't a simple task. To do so in a galley kitchen is a separate feat in and of itself. To combine them, and produce the wonderful meals we ate all week can only be accomplished by someone who loves what they do. I love cooking, and a little bit of myself goes into everything I make for someone. Yanis is the same way, and explains my affection for her and my appreciation for her skill as a chef, and her mischievious smile.

Diving: Overall the diving was good. It was windy and the current and visibility was affected. We saw alot of sea life and some very healthy reef. The water was warm, and I dove in trunks and rash guard all week, even on the night dives. Sharks, rays, eels, and tons and tons of varied fish life. My wife started using a new camera this week, and there were lots of things to photograph.

If you have a hankering to do a live aboard definitely consider the Belize III. It was our first, and we are already planning a return visit.

Before I type more, the important thing I want to say to everyone reading is: If you haven't done a live aboard and you really like diving definitely make it a priority. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, having only done my diving from a resort and a small boat with a small group.

A fine report; I had a similarly great time about the Belize Aggressor IV (then called Sun Dancer 2) a couple of years back. Your point above is worth repeating; that change to live-aboard diving, requiring a commitment to being on the same 'boat' (actually a spacious yacht) with the same people (nearly all of whom share a passion with you) for a week is intimidating...the 1st time, up until you get on the yacht and get a sense of how the rhythm of the week flows. Then it's magic...

Richard.

Awesome report. I'm going on the Aggressor IV in Sept and totally looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom