Trip Report – Ambergris Caye – San Pedro, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks LThomas, sounds like exactly what we're looking for. As for dive shops, do you have any recommendations for those that are better than decent? The names that I've noticed on SB are Ambergris Dive, Island Divers, Chuck and Robbies', White Sands and Aqua Vista.

Thanks LThomas, sounds like exactly what we're looking for. As for dive shops, do you have any recommendations for those that are better than decent? The names that I've noticed on SB are Ambergris Dive, Island Divers, Chuck and Robbies', White Sands and Aqua Vista.

The logical dive shop if you stay at The Palms would be Ramone's since you would only have to lug your gear next door. It's 1st class, but we noticed that when they get crowded they tend to pack em in on a bigger boat (cattle boat). We did a couple of trips diving with some Brits at a dive shop associated with SunBreeze Hotel, I believe it is called Aqua Dives now. They picked up all our gear in a golf cart so we wouldn't have to lug it some distance down the beach. Heard good things about Island Divers & Chuck & Robbies, but they are even further down the beach. I've attached a pretty good detailed map of that area. San Pedro, Belize - color map.jpg

Last edited:

The Palms has a dive package with their rooms; not sure who it's with. I would write them and ask about it, might be worth it. They can get you a golf cart if you want to tour the area & will have a case of Belikin220px-Belikin_June_9,_2007_by_rharrison.jpg cold in the frig. when you arrive if you ask! Also, we always tried to get the upstairs 2 bdrm/2 bath room on 2nd floor, much better view and less noise & foot traffic.

The best thing my daughter and I did on our dive trip to Ambergris Caye was take the ATV tour to the north end of the island - that was an awesome 19 mile, 4 hour trip - highly recommended. We set it up with a company very near the airport. It was better than any of the dive trips. And, yes, we too got to experience the "I hope I don't take a ladder to the face while getting on the boat" exits with 6 foot swells.

We also experienced the "feeding" - not so much. Seemed like every dive site had Nurse Sharks coming out of their way to greet you (looking for handouts from DMs I suppose).

Thanks for the tips. The ATV tour sounds great, I will definately check that out. I have one more question for those of you in the know; would it be wise to take the 6 am Tropic flight to BZE for an 8 am American Airlines departure? Or would it be better to be in Belize City the night before? Are there any nice places to stay there?

Thanks for the tips. The ATV tour sounds great, I will definately check that out. I have one more question for those of you in the know; would it be wise to take the 6 am Tropic flight to BZE for an 8 am American Airlines departure? Or would it be better to be in Belize City the night before? Are there any nice places to stay there?

If you can't change your flight time out of BZE, I wouldn't risk trying to take a 6 AM Tropic flight. It might end up being a 6:30 or 7 AM flight, with or without your bags. BZE is actually in Ladyville, 10 miles from the city. There are hotels nearby but I have never stayed at any of them (fly in, get out quickly) https://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Searc...02/01/2016&endDate=02/02/2016&adults=2&star=0

I'll second the recommendation for The Palms as accommodations and throw in Xanadu as well. The Phoenix is fab too but perhaps in a different budget. I'll second Island Divers, Chuck and Robbie's and advise that almost all ops will pick you up at your hotel dock so you shouldn't have to worry about the exact location of dive op to your hotel. I don't recommend Aqua. The Palms and Phoenix closest to town, well, because they are in town.

If I had an 8 am flight out of BZE, I'd definitely stay in BZ City the night before.

Not many choices, though. I would recommend The Great House (my favorite) or the Ft George Radisson (most popular) right across the street. Another choice would be The Princess Hotel, but something about that place gives me the heebie jeebies. And there's Villa Boscardi, a B&B that I've never tried but gets good reviews.

You would be about 20 minutes via taxi cab from the airport.

Couple of things about BZ City you should know. It's a tough town, not a tourist town. Very high violent crime rate, and tourists are easy prey. You can walk around in the day time safely enough but stick to the main streets where there are lots of people. Do not go out or stay out after dark. There's 24 hour security on site at both TGH and the Radisson, so you'll be plenty safe there.

Don't stay in Ladyville.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about having to stay in Belize City.

Are any of you familiar with The Black Orchid Resort? Apparently its in the jungle near the airport and gets decent Trip Advisor reviews. The advantage is that its not in Belize City.

Unfortunately the Palms and Xanadu are sold out for our week so I'm looking at Sunbreeze Suites and Paradise Villas.

I haven't stayed there, but I driven by. Looks nice enough to stay for a night and you would definitely be close to the airport. Depending on what time you arrived, you could go see Altun-Ha or the Baboon Sanctuary or even the Hattieville Prison Gift Shop, lol. A little further out would be the Belize Zoo and/or Cave Tubing/Zip Lining.

Back
Top Bottom