Trimming dive posture/weight position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the PADI literature, here's the recommended differences in approximate weighting when going from fresh to salt water:

| Body Weight | Weight to Add |
| 100-125lbs | +8lbs |
| 126-155lbs | +10lbs |
| 156-186lbs | +12lbs |
| 187-217lbs | +14lbs |
If I use the high end of the seawater-density scale, 1.03; and I use the high end of the body weight range on this chart, 217; and I assume 100 pounds of equipment, which is pretty high, I get a difference of 9.51 pounds (.03*317) between fresh- and saltwater ballast. PADI wants you to add 14? If a 187 pound diver with 60 pounds of gear on a tropical reef (specific gravity=1.02) followed these recommendations (.02*247=4.94) he would be strapping on an extra 9 pounds.

What a fun post your last one was to read, Mike! People who are willing to think and open to try ideas are so much fun to help . . . and I think you're already seeing the payoff of taking the time to fix these basic issues. I'm sure your next fun dive will be MUCH more enjoyable with the decreased weight and the better balance. Keep it up!

In order to simplify things and reduce the amount of shot you carry, have you considered switching to a Steel BP and a Wing? I find trimming out a BP/W to be much easier in the long run, and I've also shed 8 lb of lead from my trim pockets as a result.

In order to simplify things and reduce the amount of shot you carry, have you considered switching to a Steel BP and a Wing? I find trimming out a BP/W to be much easier in the long run, and I've also shed 8 lb of lead from my trim pockets as a result.

Yes, I've been thinking about it and ultimately I will probably go in that direction. I'm trying to spread out equipment expenses, so my objective in this thread was to find things that I could do now without buying additional equipment. Thanks for the suggestion--I'm definitely thinking along the same lines.

Now if you can just get him to believe that he should wear a rubber weight belt and move half his integrated weight from the BC to the belt he will be even happier (and probably safer).

Now if you can just get him to believe that he should wear a rubber weight belt and move half his integrated weight from the BC to the belt he will be even happier (and probably safer).

I haven't heard of rubber belts before--I only have experience with typical nylon shop rental belts. I've had bad luck with nylon weight belts due to not having enough hip definition (they invariably slide down every 5 mins or so). Would it be better with rubber? Or should I be thinking about a harness?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom