Trimming dive posture/weight position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, how did you do that?

I recently started a new doctor-monitored weight loss plan. When I started my DiveMaster class, I realized that I wasn't going to be in the best position to assist other divers until I improved my fitness level. Workouts, strength, and endurance have never been a problem for me--I go to the gym regularly and run about 20 miles a week. However, I love food and I stress eat (I'm stressed a lot in my job). So my spare tire hung around no matter what my workout habits were.

The weight loss plan consists of several parts: a 3-times-daily appetite suppressant pill (phendimetrazine), a low-carb and low-calorie diet similar to second-stage Atkins (about 14oz of protein per day), a weekly vitamin injection, a twice-daily fat burning supplement pill (calcium pyruvate), and a moderate exercise plan (at least 30 minutes walking a day or whatever your existing workout plan is beyond that). The theory behind the diet is by restricting carbohydrate and sugar intake, you keep insulin levels low, causing the body to generally pull energy from fat stores instead of storing fat away. The calorie restriction and exercise makes sure your body needs more energy than you're consuming, so it has a reason to pull energy from your fat stores. It's a more aggressive weight loss program than generally advised--most sources recommend losing a maximum of 2lbs per week (I've been averaging just over 5lbs). That's where the doctor-monitoring comes in. Every week, I have an appointment to discuss and modify the program if necessary, monitor weight progress, and check blood pressure. Every few weeks, they do bloodwork to make sure everything is okay on that front too.

My wife started this diet a few months ago to shed some of her pregnancy weight, and lost 30lbs in about 2 months. I've had even better luck so far, and am at 22lbs after 4 weeks. I've got high energy and haven't felt hungry or cravings for things I can't have on the diet, so I'm quite happy with it. It's not a national, high-marketing weight loss program--my wife found it through a referral from a friend. So unfortunately I don't have any links to send with more information, but if you're interested, you can talk to your physician or look for physicians in your area with experience with the prescription drug used (phendimetrazine). I don't think there's one diet that's right for everyone, but this one has worked well for me so far.

Most relevant to this discussion, 20lbs of body weight is worth about 2lbs of weight dropped. If I hit my goal of 60lbs in 4 months, I'll be dropping about 6lbs of lead, be more streamlined in the water, and have lower health risks due to obesity. Win-win-win in my book.

Congratulations Mike. You're going to be a great diver!

I lost 30lbs in three months but I still need to put 16lbs in my BC. I dive a 3mm in warm salt water. I feel that I can drop about 6lbs now. I do however put 2lbs on my tank strap. You are going to have to just play wit hit some. I take a shore dive in about 15-20ft of water and make my adjustments.

Mike, you are an inspiration. Looking at diving as a whole endeavour, and attacking the fitness and weight part of it as well as optimizing your equipment and your technique is the way to ensuring the absolute maximum FUN out of this sport -- and a long career doing it, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom