Trimming a DUI Zip neck seal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrap it around a cylinder to stretch it out then use a fresh razor blade to trim it. Cut a little at a time and then try it on. You want it snug but if your face starts to turn blue trim some more. For wrist seals I like to use a soda can to stretch the seals.

As DUI_Diver says, I stretch the seals around something and cut it with a brand-new razor blade.

My personal preference is to use 4" ABS pipe for the neck; 2" ABS for the wrists; and an inexpensive snap-off 9mm utility knife. Lowes' usually has 2' long sections of ABS pre-cut, you can walk out of the store with the 4" pipe, 2" pipe & a knife for less than $8.

All the best, James

I used one of my wife's fancy shmancy vases to stretch the neck for trimming, needless to say the vase got put away quickly. I gotta get some pipe, I need to trim a touch more or stretch it.

I keep a orange road cone around just for neck seals

I just trimmed my new neck seal this morning, prior to reading this.

Just curoious, but is there any reason why the method I used, and have always usued, is problematic: a scissors (albeit a good one)? I just follow the ring around with short snips, flipping the suit once or twice, just to keep me from twisting, until it's done. No need to stretch out the seal around a can or anything. I believe I'm straighter and steadier with a scissors and short snips than I would be trying to steady a blade cut. Takes me about a minute to cut a ring, working slowly and carefully.

Unless there's something different about a "zip" neck seal?

Nothing really different about zipseals from regular neck & wrist seals (at least, where the skin contacts the seal).

I am pretty good with sharp scissors, too, and always cut my seals that way. Until I tried the razor cut. It caused far less skin irritation, and I had less of the "hangman's rash" from a long weekend diving in salt water.

On closer inspection, when a seal is cut with scissors, as hard as you try not to, there is a subtle scalloping. The points of the scalloping cause irritation.

All the best, James

Got it. Thanks, James. That's interesting. Well, next round I'll get the razor out and give it a try. Paul

Nothing really different about zipseals from regular neck & wrist seals (at least, where the skin contacts the seal).

I am pretty good with sharp scissors, too, and always cut my seals that way. Until I tried the razor cut. It caused far less skin irritation, and I had less of the "hangman's rash" from a long weekend diving in salt water.

On closer inspection, when a seal is cut with scissors, as hard as you try not to, there is a subtle scalloping. The points of the scalloping cause irritation.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom