Trimming a Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panga Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey guys, Ive found a great deal on a DUI 30/30 dry suit from the Factory second page at DUI. My question is is there any way to hem up the legs? Right now they are 35 and I need them to be around 29-30. Ive thought about just folding a section of fabric in the thigh area and aqua sealing it together.

What are yalls thoughts?

Leg gators would allow you to wrap the legs between the ankles and knee caps, bunching the excess above your knee caps. If the suit is that large you might want to use them anyway. The best solution is to send them to the factory for alterations. Pricey, but if you got a good deal on the suit the overall cost for the suit and alterations might be a good tradeoff.

Or, you could hang upside down by your ankles everyday and hope to strech your legs a couple of inches, lol.

This is easy for me to say, because I just got one off the same list that fits perfectly, but if the fit for you is off by that much, it's probably not a great deal. I'd talk to the DUI service department to see if they think it's worth the work, and if not, just be patient. There are always new suits being added to the list.

Ron, did you order it direct from DUI? Im assuming so. Everything else looks right on with the measurements except for the legs :idk:

Maybe I need to take ripleys advice and hang upside down!

After I found the suit and confirmed DUI still had it, I had my local dealer order it. I don't think they sell direct to customers, but they would certainly discuss the suit with you. I'm wondering how close the cost of the modification, pressure testing, etc, would move it toward the cost of a new suit in the proper size.

I agree, its 600 for the suit right now. Maybe I should just wait

I'd be leery of trying to half-ass a suit to fit just to keep a good deal. IME, it's a lot easier and cheaper just to buy it right the first time, in the long run. Also, are you dead set on a DUI? If you are generally hard to fit "off the rack" in clothing, a good choice might be the Whites Fusion drysuit as it will stretch to fit your body. I caught one on Ebay for $800, but that was several months ago.

Also, check the classifieds here on SB. Drysuits are somewhat plentiful, and you may just luck into finding one that fits.

Peace,
Greg

Hi Panga Man,

This is Kathy Long with DUI. I saw your post. I notice you mention the leg measurement. Just an FYI - when we take the floor to crotch measurement this is done from the crotch to the floor. This is not the same as a pant inseam. The pant length you buy in the store will be shorter then the measurement taken by DUI. Also don't try to take this measurement by yourself. What happens is people bend over at the shoulders to take the measurement and make themselves 'shorter' in the process.

Also remember that the suspenders will hold the drysuit up in the crotch. So the extra leg length would most likely fold around the ankle seals.

On all our fabric drysuits the legs will appear to be long when a person is standing up. This is because the leg needs to be longer for movement when you bring your leg up, etc.,.

You can see more about how we take measurements at Sizing Information for DUI Drysuits and DiveWear - Diving Unlimited International

And finally fit is so important for the comfort on your drysuit. If you can't find that good fit wait it out.

Thanks,

Kathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom