Trimix/Helium analyzer questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
[h=1]Analox ATA Pro Tri-Mix Analyzer[/h]Any feedback on the above names analyzer? I have the CO and O2 from Analox and have been satisfied. Im looking at getting a trimix analyzer now (currently taking the class).

That being said - whats the good and bad on the Analox version?

The bad is that the sensors are proriatary and have to be bought from analox. I still love mine eventhough.

The real question is - does one really need a helium analyzer? If the O2 is correct, aren't the others? I am off to DEMA next week and this is one of the top things on my list. As a dive shop I do need to provide one for my trimix courses, by standards, but helium analyzers are relatively new on the market. I see some folks are now offering a trimix stick for blending, which worries me. I am not really a fan of O2 going through my compressor and I think helium would also be problematic. But, these again are research topics for DEMA.

The real question is - does one really need a helium analyzer? If the O2 is correct, aren't the others? I am off to DEMA next week and this is one of the top things on my list. As a dive shop I do need to provide one for my trimix courses, by standards, but helium analyzers are relatively new on the market. I see some folks are now offering a trimix stick for blending, which worries me. I am not really a fan of O2 going through my compressor and I think helium would also be problematic. But, these again are research topics for DEMA.

I must have misunderstood your question. You are a NAUI Course Director and NAUI Tech Ops, so I am sure you know the answer to this question. You analyze your mix with an oxygen analyzer to check oxygen ONLY. If you use only an oxygen analyzer, a reading od 21% could be air or trimix. BIG DIFFERENCE!

I am glad you use an trimix or helium analyzer for your trimix classes. Please continue to do so.

Yes, both a Helium/Oxygen Analyzer AND another O2 Analyzer are both conveniences worth having. As a traveling tech/wreck diver, I can efficiently set-up and expeditiously analyze both bottom mix and deco mix tanks simultaneously before labeling & loading them into the dive skiff.

The Analox model seems to be a reliable instrument (my local diveshop here in San Pedro/Port of Los Angeles has used one for many years now), but beware of a slightly smaller old red colored model re-labeled under the "Dive Rite" brand that used an AA battery: I had that one and it was very unstable, could not get good display readings especially in high humidity/tropical environments. . .

The real question is - does one really need a helium analyzer? If the O2 is correct, aren't the others?

this is only true if you checked the O2 after adding He and O2 before adding air, and it was correct for the blend. Only really feasible if you are blending for yourself.
I have seen plenty of mixes where the O2 is correct, but the He was off.

Yes, both a Helium/Oxygen Analyzer AND another O2 Analyzer are both conveniences worth having. As a traveling tech/wreck diver, I can efficiently set-up and expeditiously analyze both bottom mix and deco mix tanks simultaneously before labeling & loading them into the dive skiff.

The Analox model seems to be a reliable instrument (my local diveshop here in San Pedro/Port of Los Angeles has used one for many years now), but beware of a slightly smaller old red colored model re-labeled under the "Dive Rite" brand that used an AA battery: I had that one and it was very unstable, could not get good display readings especially in high humidity/tropical environments. . .

The rebranded DiveRite one is what I have and it has been rock solid for over 4 years now. I have had to replace the sensors, but the readings are always good and have been verified with other analyzers. I think that possibly yours was a lemon or something.

The rebranded DiveRite one is what I have and it has been rock solid for over 4 years now. I have had to replace the sensors, but the readings are always good and have been verified with other analyzers. I think that possibly yours was a lemon or something.

Ive had mine for a year. Does just what I bought it for.
Well . . .either a lemon, or TSA was screwing around with it and broke it (they also unscrewed the faceplate of my TDL O2/Helium replacement analyzer and didn't even bother to fasten it flush, tight & snug).

Damn this new found respect for SB.
Yes, you need an analyzer.
There's no issue with running O2 through a compressor. Cave country has been doing it for a decade. They pump more banked Nitrox than anywhere else in the world. Their service intervals are normal as compared to the rest of the world.

---------- Post Merged at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:13 PM ----------

this is only true if you checked the O2 after adding He and O2 before adding air, and it was correct for the blend. Only really feasible if you are blending for yourself.
I have seen plenty of mixes where the O2 is correct, but the He was off.

You are correct

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom