Trim Weights and DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes,
I know they do - but there are 2 reasons why I don't want to that far behind me...

1) I don't want to be 'back heavy.' On my first DIR-type rig I thing where I went wrong was - I was using a 6# SS BP and a 6# Koplin Weighted STA. It made me want to roll over on my back all the time - despite having 8# of lead in front of my waist.

2) I borrowed my friends Trans Pac II with two 4# Dive Rite Trim Weights on each side of the Trans Pac's small d-rings (total of 8#) with 12# on my waist - worked super.

ScoobieDooo:
Yes,
1) I don't want to be 'back heavy.' On my first DIR-type rig I thing where I went wrong was - I was using a 6# SS BP and a 6# Koplin Weighted STA. It made me want to roll over on my back all the time - despite having 8# of lead in front of my waist.

I dive exactly that, with a steel tank and no weight belt and have no tendency to roll. Part of it is conditioning and mental control, like riding a bike.

What size wing are you using? I had the turtle affect happen once when using a wing that was a little too big. Just a thought.

ScoobieDooo:
MechDiver,
So why the 'rolling over' feeling I experienced then?

Could be a number of reasons. I had the same feeling when I first started diving doubles. Wanted to roll to the left, drove me nuts. My instructor kept pointing at his head, meaning it was in my mind (bike riding) and ignored it. After the second dive, I no longer noticed it, and maybe that carried over to the single tank, although I was diving the SS bp and weighted STA before doubles training. Just didn't have steel singles then.

Wearing a drysuit and using it for buoyancy could be a factor as that will put an air bubble under the tank. Being overweighed with a wing could also.

Wish I could say for sure for you, but can't. It does take some time to adjust though, as with most things new of different.

MD

I've been diving double PST LP80's, halcyon bp, halcyon wing for a while now, and everything works well, even with two alu80 stages.

When I switch to my Faber 108's I get distinctly head heavy. This is in fresh water, using a 7lb soft V weight. I have the bands up high on the necks of the tanks.

The first thing that occurs to me is to lose the V weight and go with a traditional belt. I'm sure this will help some and I'll try it next time I take the 108's out.

Any other suggestions/comments?

Atticus:
When I switch to my Faber 108's I get distinctly head heavy. This is in fresh water, using a 7lb soft V weight. I have the bands up high on the necks of the tanks.

The first thing that occurs to me is to lose the V weight and go with a traditional belt. I'm sure this will help some and I'll try it next time I take the 108's out.

Any other suggestions/comments?

Where is your soft v-weight? Can you move it towards the bottom of the tanks? I had to cut two inches from the head end of my v-weight to get my trim right with my 95s. If you can, take the weight out entirely and have someone above you place it along the tanks to see where the balance point is.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom