Trigger snap instead of bolt snap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 If a diver is finding it difficult to manipulate a bolt-snap, they probably aren't (or shouldn't be) doing the sort of diving where a bolt snap was required. :wink:

Little bit of friendly sarcasm? That's cool. Guess what.....I also have delrin snaps on my BC......:mooner:

Thus, if I ask about trigger bolts and cave/wreck divers tell me it's not a great idea, my personal choice is to buy snap bolts.
icosm14.gif

This is a fantastic insight.

A lot of people pooh-pooh the potential problems that folks worry about, who do diving where problems can literally be lethal. My husband has scoffed at "failure points", but wasn't laughing quite so hard when he almost lost a dive in Mexico over a leaking quick-disconnect. I thought my cave instructor was ridiculously anal when he objected to the way I had tied the loops in my pockets, until I had two dives where I ran into precisely the problem he had predicted that I would have. I thought the "twist-on" backup light rule was silly, until we had light after light fail because of problems with switches.

The folks who do a lot of high-risk diving have often tried it all . . . when they talk to me, I listen.

This is a fantastic insight.

A lot of people pooh-pooh the potential problems that folks worry about, who do diving where problems can literally be lethal. My husband has scoffed at "failure points", but wasn't laughing quite so hard when he almost lost a dive in Mexico over a leaking quick-disconnect. I thought my cave instructor was ridiculously anal when he objected to the way I had tied the loops in my pockets, until I had two dives where I ran into precisely the problem he had predicted that I would have. I thought the "twist-on" backup light rule was silly, until we had light after light fail because of problems with switches.

The folks who do a lot of high-risk diving have often tried it all . . . when they talk to me, I listen.

Oh believe me I listen as well. I am far from the level of diver than most on this board. But, I am also a practical person as well. When I am up here in 42F water with 5 mil gloves on and diving in a lake I use the "butterfly" snaps. When I was down in High Springs I switched em out for the "bolt snap" for the simple reason you don't wear gloves and it's much easier to access.

As far as your experience with the twist as opposed to switches all my lights are twist aside from my canister light of course for that very reason.

I thought my cave instructor was ridiculously anal when he objected to the way I had tied the loops in my pockets, until I had two dives where I ran into precisely the problem he had predicted

Just curious- what was wrong with your pocket loops?

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

Oh believe me I listen as well. I am far from the level of diver than most on this board. But, I am also a practical person as well. When I am up here in 42F water with 5 mil gloves on and diving in a lake I use the "butterfly" snaps. When I was down in High Springs I switched em out for the "bolt snap" for the simple reason you don't wear gloves and it's much easier to access.

As far as your experience with the twist as opposed to switches all my lights are twist aside from my canister light of course for that very reason.

The trick for boltsnaps in cold water is to make sure you use the side of your thumb to open the gate rather than the end. I'll try and take some photos to show this when I have a chance.

HTH
John

This is often how diving protocol develops. Often to the "outsider" the rules seem crazy or illogical.

Most of the time there is a damn good reason why that rule becomes a rule.

I use the bulky neoprene Zip gloves and I have no problem using my bolt snaps. At the risk of sounding anal, I do a fair bit of "dryland" practice when something new is introduced into my set-up. When I first got the Zip gloves I knew that they would take some "getting used to" so, on a few days when I was bored, I suited up and clipped on/off for around 30 minutes or so. Now, in the water, it is instinctive.

Bob (Toronto)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom