Trident IIE Compressor HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what's the oil change interval in the block? is the block pressure or splash lubricated?
at 180 hours a commercial quality compressor would be just out of the "break-in" to say so, the unit i had before had a scheduled oil change of 1000 (1 thou) hours but it had a bigger oil capacity as well (almost a gallon).
you NEED to find the factory recommended service schedule so keep looking for a user manual at least. call the company that serviced it as well and ask how often you have to change the oil, tell a story along the lines of "intensive commercial use, how often do i have to call you in guys, etc, maybe , maybe you get something out of them though i would not put my money on that judging by the way they responded first time)

the mineral oil is not as stable as the synthetic as such it breaks down under temperature. the result is that long runs and high pressures will favor the deposit of carbon in different places. when you switch to synthetic those deposits usually come loose and can clog you valves or impede oil circulation thus creating a major issue. if this is commercial quality unit the number of hours on it does not suggest a large probability of that happening.

partial pressure blending is something i would not touch with a 10ft pole. you could get and extra filter tower (hyperfilter) and than use the air for PP blennding, however, if you do not need mixes with O2 greater than 40% you could use continuous blending. it's beed described and discussed on the forums in detail as a highlight, it involves injecting O2 before the compressor at a rate that brings the O2 content in the mix to what you need (keeping it under 40%). assuming your unit does not get too hot you can do continuous blending for trimix as well. look it up on the forums.
here's the manual for your unit (or at least a very similar one):
http://www.divers-direct.cz/Files/Manual_TRIDENT_KLASIK_200.pdf
it seems to be a splash lubricated unit and the oil interval is 200 hours, you should have no issues changing to synthetic just find an oil with similar characteristics.

mineral oil doess not prevent you from getting good quality air, the latest depends mostly on filtration capacity and quality, the quality of input air, run temperature, humidity.

I have the original manual. The unit is splash lubricated. The oil change interval is every 30 hours. They recommend changing the filter media every 10 hours. In a year or so I think I should dismantle the unit for a complete overhaul. At least that is the recommendation from the previous service company. if there is any question of causing a problem I could simply stay with hte mineral oil another year and then change after a thorough cleaning. I spoke to one man who used to have one of these and he told me it runs hot so I'm a little leary of trying to increase the O2 content I put through it.

I appreciate all of your input as I am a complete newby at this.

I spoke to one man who used to have one of these and he told me it runs hot so I'm a little leary of trying to increase the O2 content I put through it.
in this case ask yourself if you really need the nitrox and if you are comfortable putting 100 % O2 into something.
IF you plan to dismantle it in a year I would wait and convert the oil after.

Back
Top Bottom