Tricks to disable Velcro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have some “hook” side Velcro on a suit that is creating problems and would be very difficult to completely remove without causing damage. Does anyone have any tricks to prevent Velcro hooks from catching? I tried adding strips of the Velcro loop mate, but it gets too bulky and stiff.

I thought I would ask before resorting to experimentation. It is ironic, usually all I have to do is get sand or silt on Velcro to make it stick poorly. The problem is I need it not to grab at all.

Sharp scissors would allow you to trim all the hooks off

How about "shaving" the Velcro with a pair of electric clippers. I've done this with fabrics that pill badly. Obviously it would make the Velcro useless for future use but it's an idea.

Edit: The other guys beat me to it but it's the same concept.

A sharp thin razor blade in a holder would allow you to shave the plastic loop part.

The plastic loop side would be easy to melt too. With a very small torch head and a few seconds, you could morph it into a flat lump of plastic.

You could also put a glue on it, but that might increase bulk/rigidity.

I have some “hook” side Velcro on a suit that is creating problems and would be very difficult to completely remove without causing damage. Does anyone have any tricks to prevent Velcro hooks from catching? I tried adding strips of the Velcro loop mate, but it gets too bulky and stiff.

I thought I would ask before resorting to experimentation. It is ironic, usually all I have to do is get sand or silt on Velcro to make it stick poorly. The problem is I need it not to grab at all.

Velcro is nylon, and nylon melts. *Careful* passes with a hot knife will do the job.

Tobin

glue?

it will fill in the hooks and no worries about cutting / melting the suit.

try a flexible wetsuit repair type glue...

I was going to suggest a soldering iron but Tobin was quicker than I with that one...

You can't unstitch it or cut it off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom