Tribolube 71 for loop and DSV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To summarise:
  • In high-pressure components in contact with high oxygen percentages, use oxygen compatible grease -- as silicone grease poses a significant fire risk as it is fuel and could be ignited by a sudden increase in oxygen rich gas pressure (compression ignition / diesel effect)
  • In low pressure components (ADV, loop hose connectors, rebreather lid, etc.) normal silicone grease poses no risk of fire as there is no risk of compression ignition as there's insufficient pressure change to increase the temperature.

Must admit that thus far I've used only white oxygen compatible grease on my rebreather. Silicone grease would be much easier to apply and use for O-rings and connectors, especially large O-rings such as around the lid.

Yeah, it's a massive ball-ache lugging an extra pot of silicone grease about 😏
It is just my OCD. I know - stupid. But I also know that the lube I carry is O2 suitable. No chance of mixup.

Reactions: L13
It is just my OCD. I know - stupid. But I also know that the lube I carry is O2 suitable. No chance of mixup.
I'd have thought that choosing the correct lubrication for the task in hand would be more of an OCD thing.

I do it 'cos I was an engineer in a previous life and know that getting things done right is more important that satisfying ones obsession with minimalism.

I'd have thought that choosing the correct lubrication for the task in hand would be more of an OCD thing.

I do it 'cos I was an engineer in a previous life and know that getting things done right is more important that satisfying ones obsession with minimalism.
You're entirely correct. In my case, O2 lubricants are suitable for every application on the unit. Also, it is a manufacturer recommendation. Therefore, I am not cutting any corners.

For the Dive Rite O2ptima they identify 2 (3 if you have the DiveSoft BOV).

• Divesoft BOV Lubrication - DuPont Krytox 201
  • Dive Rite DSV Lubrication - Tribolube 71
  • LP and HP Hose O-ring Lubrication - Tribolube 71
  • Loop Hose O-ring Lubrication - Molykote 111 or Tribolube 71
  • HUD & Controller Connector Lubrication - Molykote 111
  • Electronics/Battery Canister Lid O-ring Lubrication - Molykote 111

While not specifically listed in the table, The manual does state to use Tribolube 71 on the Scrubber End Cap and Electronic Head o-rings . These are silicone o-rings and the Molykote will cause them to swell.

I use Molykote on the HUD and Controller plus and On the loop hoses and counterlungs. Tribolube on the scrubber ends.

I heard the main argument by the manufacturers* for standardizing on O2-grease is to avoid cross-contamination of working space and tools. Someone mentioned a test they did at a seminar, and no one was able to separate O2 free from silicone and before you know it they were contaminating the O2 clean gear with silicone.

For specific uses it probably can be done, but I know I would get silicone all over my gear, tools, workspace... :)

*(EDIT: I was referring to regulator manufacturers..)

I like to look at the manufacturers data sheet. If there are any warnings about inhalation, or what to do with body contact or ingestion, I prefer not to use it in my breathing apparatus. Christolube has to be the most metabolically inert chemical data sheet I have ever reviewed, so I'll stick with that.

+1 for the cross contamination argument.

Yup, the only concern with PTFE grease like Christolube and Tribolube would be inhaling fumes when the stuff is burned, as this can cause polymer fume fever. Unlikely a concern for us, so I agree with you.

Yup, the only concern with PTFE grease like Christolube and Tribolube would be inhaling fumes when the stuff is burned, as this can cause polymer fume fever. Unlikely a concern for us, so I agree with you.
Do you think it's worse than all the other plastic that would be burning in the unit?

Back
Top Bottom