Triathlon wetsuit for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the Ironman website under FAQ it says
Because triathlon wetsuits are a smoothskin rubber, they are prone to surface abrasion more than nylon laminated wetsuits. Therefore, it is not recommended that they be used in contact with other equipment such as surfboards or boats.

So if they do not recommend using it where it will make contact with a boat or surfboard, I hate to think what weights and BC will do to it. I know nothing about it other that what I read on the website, but it sounds, well rather fragile.

Cameron,
Thanks for that info . . .

the Kraken

dumpsterDiver:
I like to pee in suits that other people borrow
Why just one? Walk by the rack and pee on them all! :D

Gary D.

So much drama in a simple post. I might claim to be an authority on this because I work in Cayman and wear custom suits made by a company that makes, believe it or not, triathlon suits. Don't trash your triathlon suit unless you are sure it is fairly robust. The suits I use are more designed with surfers in mind, so allow full arm movement and are quite easy to swim in but I made a few modifications to the design. I asked the company to use resin impregnated neoprene on the knees, bum and shoulders on the long suit and bum and shoulders of the shorty. They are blind stitched and heat sealed and stand up to hundreds of dives worth of abuse. I get new ones every two years or so. All of the purpose built dive suits I've bought have given up in a matter of months.

Most people diving Cayman at this time of year are wearing suits, just because it is pretty cold geting out into the wind and two hours in 79 degree water will start to chill anyone who's just hangin' around.

The triathlon suit has extra neoprine in the legs too...designed to keep your legs up and reduce drag for swimming. I'd hate to think how that extra "leg buoyancy" would affect your trim!

The only thing that I didn't see anybody say is: The wet suit is sleeveless? If you decide to wear this suit and you are prone to getting cold then this suit may not work well for you.

The reasoning behind this is that you will lose allot of body head in your arm pits. I dove a 6mil farmer john bottom in 76 degree water (at a lake) and by the end of the dive I was actually chilled because my arm pits got cold when I was diving.

I usually wear a 3mil full suit in 70 - 76 degree water and I do pretty good. At a minimum I would get something with sleeves, even if they are short sleeves. At least then the suit would cover the arm pits and help keep you warmer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom