trekking in chiang mai/rai/pai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Besides diving, we are going to do some trekking and was wondering if anyone is doing the same and which guides you are going with. Thanks!

uniquecreature1:
Besides diving, we are going to do some trekking and was wondering if anyone is doing the same and which guides you are going with. Thanks!

Hi Unique,

Chiang Rai, Pai are great places to trek. Chiang Mai is the beginning/network/contact point for many trekkers. If you have your own scuba gears, you may need to find a good hotel, guest house to keep your scuba gear before you start your trek.

I would suggest 1st stop at Chiang Mai. I always stay at hostel, guest house. 100 to 150 baht get me a private room vith private bath. Many guest houses have contracts with organise trekking companies to take guests to Pai and C. Rai.

I asked around 1st and networked with some trekkers from Jpn, Australia, Canade.... and got a fairly good idea before commit to the route I like. The pricing is competitive across the board. Drop by a few guest houses and check out the bulletin boards and posted ads, the pricings are posted.

Depend on your preferences, if you are looking for the up scale, being pempered in nice jeep and guide carry your backpack type, then there are specialize travel agency that cater to that "upscale" clientele. If you are looking for the real trekking experience, I would suggest check out those organise by guest houses.

The trekking activities are so popular in Chiang Mai, you can choose the guides by how many languages he/she speaks! I met a guide from Europe who speak French, Dutch and German, besides English. I chose a local guide who speak OK English but can speak multiple local tribal languages.

After I came back to Chiang Mai from the trekking trip, I rented a motorcycle and rode it to Chiang Rai, Chiang Khong (the border town of Thai Laos Border. AKA The Golden Triangle). If your time allowed, I would strongly recommended the trip.

Some travel guide books i.e. Lonely Planets have great info on where and how to find trekking guides and info. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom