Treasure Hunting Q?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to know how could I start Treasure Hunting?

Oman used to be a major marine power in the 16th Century. After reading some of the posts here I started looking through the internet and found there are not alot of wreaks in Oman, Most possible that they are waiting to be discovered??

and also few years back we have been hit by a hurricane (Gono) which lead to massive damage in Oman, the good thing is that the location of the floods hit few gold shops which cased them to swim away... to the sea maybe??

So I thought maybe If I looked hard enough I could find something??

So now I am looking for advices about it??
what should I get and how should I start??
I would need all the advice I could get?

these might be crazy Dreams but thought of giving it a shot???

Do you have a boat? How much time can you invest? You want to treasurehunt for the fun and adventure or comercially? What are the local laws regarding shipwrecks and salvage?
Where there is water there are wrecks for shure. Get sea charts and look for lighthouses, there will be wrecks closeby. Seacharts often show known wrecks. The more dangerous a reef obviously is (exposed rocks, breakers, etc.) the more likely it will have wreckage. Be careful to not loose your own boat on these reefs.

Do you have a boat? How much time can you invest? You want to treasurehunt for the fun and adventure or comercially? What are the local laws regarding shipwrecks and salvage?
Where there is water there are wrecks for shure. Get sea charts and look for lighthouses, there will be wrecks closeby. Seacharts often show known wrecks. The more dangerous a reef obviously is (exposed rocks, breakers, etc.) the more likely it will have wreckage. Be careful to not loose your own boat on these reefs.

- I am geting a boat sooon, but I usully take my friends boat...
- Time!!! not alot since I am working out of the country, so only on vication time I work 6 weeks and have 3 weeks off...
- I want to treasurehunt for the fun and adventure...

We have no lighthouses in Oman and I dont think there are any sea charts too...

A very good source for information on shipwrecks are the local fishermen. They spend lots of time on the water, know where the most dangerous reefs are (and that`s where ships get wrecked), often the fishing is very good around shipwrecks and ballast mounds. If these fishermen spearfish they can tell where there is an anchor, cannon or other wreckage on the reef or bottom.
I think it should be possible to get seacharts in a port close to your location. They should sell them there. On the ships and yachts they have maps of course and they might give older ones away or sell them cheap. If there is a university somewhere around your place, maybe they have a cartographic or geographic department and they sell maps or at least copies which are good enough.
You probably don`t have access to a magnetometer or sidescan sonar to scan the bottom for wrecks I guess. I experienced that most of the wrecks are in very shallow water or on top of the reefs anyway where it`s difficult if not impossible to tow a probe of these devices. But a good fishfinder can be a usefull tool locating wrecks and for your own boat you may want to get one anyway. I`m not an expert on the matter but you can find info on the internet, Humminbird Side Imaging might be worth a look. Another good source for information is another forum on the net: Treasurenet.com. There is a forum about shipwrecks where some real experts share their experience.

Back
Top Bottom